Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 550d

Karlos

After a long time, of using my slr and drooling over the idea of a DSLR, my parents spoilt me for my birthday and brought me a Canon 550d with the 18-55mm lens. I've had a quick look through the settings and took a few pictures... but... I have no memory card for it. (One of those moments usually with Batteries :))

I'll start reading the manual promptly as I already feel overwhelmed by buttons and menus I do not understand.

I will need to purchase a t-adapter for the camera, can anyone recommend a suitable one? And maybe even a weatherproof case?

It would be great if anyone who owns this camera could share any pictures they have took.

So happy, wish it could be my birthday everyday :(

Your photos are amazing, its nice to see you achieved that from unguided imaging too!

I brought a memory card, so I've been busy toying with the settings and it takes lovely pictures. I just need a t-adapter next so I can try some Lunar shots for the time being (Until I have some kind of tracking) and I'll experiment with some widefield star shots on a tripod but I assume exposures will be limited without tracking.

Thanks Tinker, so the set up would look like this:

Focusser 1.25" <-- T mount (Generic piece, that fits into the focusser) <-- T2 Canon Eos Ring <-- Canon DSLR

Is it possible to buy both pieces together or as a combo? I notice that Max Dslr Adaptor on FLO is for Nikon or Pentax.

I ave this camera and it is great, my images are not good as I don't have a clock drive.

If I'm using it with the telescope then I will attach the t mount and ring into the 2" diagonal (so I can use a filter). Or for a smaller image (ie less focal length) I have a 32mm EP that threads onto the t ring.

Thanks gcraib, after doing some research (Reading the manual to my scope hehe :D) I found the extension tube has a thread for t-rings so I just need to buy a canon T-ring I believe.

I will be lacking any sort of tracking so will be limited to purely lunar and maybe a pop at some planetary imaging too. I was actually considering trying some brighter star clusters like M45, which I could possibly stack a few exposures using software.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some shots of Jupiter the other week and with a bit of stretching you can start to make out the bands.

Bit of a struggle as exposure time was around 1 second....

Venus should make a nice target in a short exposure as it is very bright.

You'll get great shots of the moon, my first were just holding up to the scope and firing away. One came out good and a few were ok.

You're better of shooting M45 with a zoom lens (and preferably a tripod). M45 is a bit big to fit on the telescope. A variable zoom lens eg 70-300mm is ideal. I borrowed my dads one and shot jupiter with moons at approx 200mm and got M45 and hyades with just a steady hand.

Think I uploaded some on here check my posts to see what you can expect with minimum equipment.

Should really get around to uploading my later shots albeit poor.

What a great birthday pressie. M45 will fit nicely in about 600mm focal length with an SLR. You want a T mount, and a 1.25" to T thread. You should be able to get both from FLO. My only concern would be, and I've no evidence to back this up, that you may struggle to get focus with an SLR on that newt. If I remember other people saying correctly, the end of the drawtube unscrews to reveal a T thread, which I think gives just enough inward focus travel. That won't be an issue on the Vixen, but it's an achromat (so you'll get blue/purple halos) and the focal length is a bit long for M45. You could try mounting the camera directly to the 1145 mount and using the kit lens... that can produce some good wide field results.

Archived