Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EPs for Mak 127

sticks

After reading through posts and reviews I am thinking of getting the following EPs for my Nexstar 127 SLT with my budget of circa £200 :

Baader Hyperion 24mm (for the 68dg WA) - £92

BST ED 15mm (gen purpose) - £41

Celestron X-Cel LX 9mm (for planetary with good eye relief) - £69

Are there any obvious mistakes here, or suggestions for improvements from you guys?

Thanks

~Sticks~

I would seriously consider the Baader hyperion zoom and kill 3 birds with one stone so to speak. At F12 the Mak responds quite well to the zoom EP, bung in a good quality Barlow and possibly a 32mm and that's all you'll probably need :)

I bought a 32mm EP and use that in addition to the 20mm and 10mm that came with the Skymax 127.

Have thought about others and barlows but not needed so far, those 3 have plenty of power. If anything I would maybe consider lower power EP's, although I do have a 0.6 x focal reducer.

Zoom would be handy to save swapping out the EP's but I think you lose something using that.

The 32mm has an adjustable neck that works like a zoom when the DLSR is attached to it (by removing the rubber cup) but I found it very shaky and difficult to focus the camera.

Thanks for the advice guys - I bought a 15mm BST which fills the gap between the two standard EPs and gives good views - I think I will use it most - no WOW factor though. I will use the scope a while longer before deciding whether I need to do anything more. I will try to borrow a hyperion and a 32mm Plossl on club nights and see what they have to offer before investing further.

Archived