Can't set global position on scope

I am fairly new to scopes. I've had a Celestron 6se with goto mount for about 6 months now. I've seen loads of stuff with it, Jupiter, Saturn etc fantastic views.

The problem ive been having is setting up the scope with the EXACT coordinates. I'm in Blackpool and the nearest city I can put in is Liverpool, which is all I can do.

Can I find the way to put my own Longtitude Latitude ??

I wish. Despite reading the instructions, which state that you can do this but don't tell you how to actually do it.

If someone could tell me that would be great.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will look at that.

I do already have my position wrote on a piece of paper. The real problem is what part of the menu on the remote will let me input this information.

I think I have gone through everything in the menu, but nothing will let me put this info in.

You should be able to set up the coordinates when you first switch on - it's one of the questions you get asked to supply details of. Otherwise - look under the "setup menu" - it'll be one of the options you can change when you scroll down through the different items. There will be date/time, time zone, lat/long, daylight saving, etc :icon_salut:

I wonder if i will ever be able to put my own exact coordinates into this remote.

I've just tried again to no avail.

I get to this screen, pictured below, where it says press undo to edit.

What I get is the next pic, Liverpool. The last saved site.

Still won't let me edit coordinates. Starting to not like this remote.

post-27677-133877707298_thumb.jpg

post-27677-133877707306_thumb.jpg

Hi Ya you need to go on to the menu screen and scroll along till you see "scope set up" and then press ENTER to select "set up time site" and as soon as you press ENTER you get the screen "hours, minutes and seconds" - immediately press the UNDO button and this allows you to enter your longitude and latitude co - ordinates. Hope that helps you, I have the Celestron 127 Mak, and I think the firmware is the same as yours - the manual doesn't really explain this too well. Hope you get it sorted regards Paul.

Thanks for the reply. I have just tried that but still no luck.

For instance when I press undo it just goes back to the last menu.

The only thing I can change is the clock. I tried pressing undo quickly like you said but it still just goes back a page.

Hi Ya Starman, I'm using the hand controller that came with the Celestron 127 Mak. I'm not sure that the 6SE is the same procedure, the manual is for the Nexstar 90 and 127 Mak, but I thought that the 6SE was the same. On page 15 of the handbook it says under Date :- The next time that your Nexstar is aligned, the hand control will automatically display the last location (either a city or longitude and latitude that was entered. Press ENTER to accept these parameters if they still apply. Pressing the UNDO button will allow you to go back and select a new city location or longitude/latitude.

Try setting up and follow the instructions displayed on the handset setting your location as Liverpool, as if your going to complete the set up ready to observe, then switch the handset off and on again - follow the set up and when it comes to the location, try pressing the UNDO button this time and see if you can get to the CUSTOM SITE or LONGITUDE/LATITUDE screen. Sorry for the long reply, but you may have to complete the set up first, its then saved to the memory, switch the hand set off and back on again, and follow the set up procedure again until you reach the "location" field and try UNDO. Hope this helps !!! Paul

Hi Ya Starman sorry its me again, just downloaded the 6/8 SE manual and if you look towards the bottom of page 12 next to "Helpful Hints" it explains the procedure there for you, you must select the "CUSTOM SITE" option to input your Longitude/latitude co ordinates, but remember when you switch the hand controller on you must first select "SKY ALIGN" and follow the instructions till you get to location. Hope ya get it sorted Paul.

Thanks for your help. I've finally managed to put the position in, at last!

Don't ask me how I did it. I just followed what you said.

I hope I don't have to do it again. It was not straightforward at all, but it's done now, provided I don't take my scope on holiday!

Hi Ya Starman, glad you've got it sorted, the more you use the scope, the more you'll get used to the set up procedure, its now stored in the memory so, so long as you don't move house, you'll be ok - Take Care Mate and clear skies to you. I'd sooner use my dob, really east to set up and I've got a right angled finder and a good set of star charts, so easy to find the objects but its another matter seeing them !!! Regards Paul.

Archived