Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep Impact ready for the smacking.

OXO

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like an exciting time is scheduled for early Monday morning. They seem confident that their impactor won't miss the comet & hence will expose material which hasn't 'seen the light of day' for 4.6 billion years!

As the article suggests, scientists have alot to learn from this experiment - so who knows what the outcome will be.........only time will tell!

Let's wish the mission every success. :)

Of course the edition of The Sky at Night which will be broadcast tomorrow night is pre-recorded & so wouldn't be able to show the impact LIVE, even if the programme had been broadcast at the time of the said impact. :) (Don't suppose we can expect a man of Sir Patrick's age to stay up til that time of night/early morning)! :)

Yeah True, could of used his sidekick though would of made an interesting programe still when there's eastenders on TV doesnt really matter about a small thing like this does it. :)

James

I do find it upsetting about the bbc's programing and other Station's lack of imagination regarding Astronomy, one prog once a month thank god for the Internet and Magazines.

Anyway there is coverage on NASA TV you can watch for free via your internet connection(broadband recommended) so all is not last.

JaMES 8)

By 'sidekick' I assume you mean Chris Lintott - widely tipped to take over from Patrick when he eventually goes............

I think he's a cert for the job. I quite like the guy, he's got over that nervous, 'wavy arms' thing he had. He's very enthusiastic, knows his stuff and asks the right questions when he's interviewing.

Chris Lintott is quite like able with his enthusiastic aproach to astronomy glad they found someone who fits the bill could of been a right **** like the guy from there star party a couple of yrs ago man handling a piece of meteorite remember?lol

James

Granted Chris Lintott is a likeable guy but IMO he's a bit too 'ordinary' to fill Patrick's boots. I'd rather see someone a bit more eccentric carry on Sir P's tradition.

The name that comes to mind is noted astro historian, Alan Chapman.

Just my 2c......... :)

Archived