Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Mod is best for a 450D

MG1

Hi everyone, I just wanted to pick a few brains on the subject of mods for the 450D.

I just managed to get myself a second-hand body only with the intention of modding it for Astro.

I have no intention of using this camera for normal daylight photography, although I might be interested in IR at a later date.

What I'm trying to establish (and I've been through the Gary Honis website looking for this info) is if there are any advantage/dissadvantages for astrophotography by removing both filters, ie doing a full spectrum mod.

I tend to shoot mainly through a CLS filter, but am going to try some Ha and maybe OIII.

I was thinking that since I will be blocking UV/IR with filters anyway, I may as well remove the extra piece of glass.

All comments and suggestions welcomed. Many thanks

Michael :icon_salut:

I did the FULL full spectrum (remove both filters) in order to access the spectrum from 380 to NIR.

It works 100%.

The only downside, for me, was the inability to focus with standard lenses....

This was overcome by using the Astronimik MC (clear) clip in filter . NOTE: this only works with EF lenses....

I'd suggest for "normal" astroimaging it's unnecessary to remove the front shake/dust filter - this acts as a very good UV-IR filter - no additional filters (other than CLS etc) required.

Hope this helps.

That makes sense...I wasn't sure if my removing the IR/UV filter I would have more flexibility?

I guess you want full spectrum for spectroscopy, but will I get all I need for imaging leaving the UV/IR in place?

I wondered if the Astronomik or Baader filters might provide better cut off and higher overall transmission, particularly when getting into the Ha and SII.

If there are no real dissadvantages (other than auto focus loss) I'm leaning towards full spectrum.

Archived