SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Battery situation sorted? Perhaps..

jonathan

So after reading a thread about batteries and someone mentioned smart chargers, I decided to invest in one, hopefully it will arrive this week.

41aYoIvOkwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Professional-Automatic-Workshop-Battery/dp/B003DM0RK0/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323942736&sr=1-7

It may be a little more than is necessary but most of the smart chargers seem to be around the 50-60 quid mark anyway, and this looks like a very good well-built one that should last a long time for just a tenner more than the rest (when I placed my order anyway).

Hoping that it might actually be able to revive my Maplins 5-in-1 power tank!

Looks like a good choice. well done.

For the benefit of others, I repeat my earlier comments to the solution of battery power for your astro gear...dump the PowerPacks and invest in a couple of good 20Ah gel cell batteries!

Combined with an electronic charger like this, they will outlast ANY powerpack (or I'll give you your money back...)

Seriously, I have three 20Ah gel batteries which are now almost 6 years old and still going strong...

A good investment is a good investment!!!

I have actually been trying to buy an AGM battery to replace the sealed lead-acid one inside my Maplins 5-in-1, there is one that should fit but it isn't available at the suppliers yet; from memory I believe it's a Yuasa YC20-12, part of a new product line that has only just been released.

This charger should handle that battery just fine.

I would like to keep the power pack just for the convenience of the enclosure, easy carry handle, and two 12v sockets etc all already built-in. Saves me the job of trying to make a battery box.

Archived