Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second Generation William Optics GT81

FLO

The William Optics GT81 was a successful triplet refractor that sold at a surprisingly low price. Unfortunately they made only 100 so it soon sold out!

William Optics have sent us details of their new 'second generation' 5-element GT81 II that is clearly aimed at the astrophotographer. Essentially it will have an f6 triplet objective with FPL53 glass and a 2-element flattener built inside the tube. It will also feature the new William Optics R&P focuser and have a compact short-tube design similar to the GT81.

We are expecting an official announcement in February and a delivery around March.

Price has not been set but we'll update this thread as news comes in.

I guess the GT81 page you linked too is the 1st gen model? If so, did the reducer ever show up?

I'm very close to ordering a Tak 85, but I see scopes like this and the images they produce for 20% of the price and I wonder why. I could get this, a WO 110mm and a 14" Dob for the same price as a Tak 85 + reducer ...

I guess the GT81 page you linked too is the 1st gen model? If so, did the reducer ever show up?

William Optics have released their much improved William Optics Reducer III but we haven't seen one specifically for the GT81. There is talk of one being released in the New Year but that isn't definite.

I'm very close to ordering a Tak 85, but I see scopes like this and the images they produce for 20% of the price and I wonder why. I could get this, a WO 110mm and a 14" Dob for the same price as a Tak 85 + reducer ...

Ah, that would make for an interesting thread :)

Hasn't that been on the same boat as the EQ7, which has been missing for like 15 months now? :)

Any idea how soon that might show up?

The EQ7 that was displayed at last year's Photokina was a Red Herring. There are actually a number of mounts in development and the EQ7 was only an early developmental exercise. That mount has evolved so much since then that it bears very little resemblance to the one displayed, and it will probably be released as an EQ'8', not 7.

Not sure when it will be launched as it is still in development but there will almost certainly be at least one new mount released before it, possibly two.

HTH :)

Nnnnoooooo. I'm a little peeved. I bought the GT81 MK1 as it was marketed as, I quote from the WO site and echoed elsewhere, "This F/5.9 lens is ideal for astrophotography" - but it is not, not without a field flattener, which may be obvious to the more experienced user but not and exceedingly frustrating in the process, to the newcomer - to whom this scope is aimed. I really hope they pull out the stops and issue a dedicated flattener soon. Currently, it's field curvature makes me look like I'm piloting the millennium falcon.

go

The William Optics GT81 was a successful triplet refractor that sold at a surprisingly low price. Unfortunately they made only 100 so it soon sold out!

William Optics have sent us details of their new 'second generation' 5-element GT81 II that is clearly aimed at the astrophotographer. Essentially it will have an f6 triplet objective with FPL53 glass and a 2-element flattener built inside the tube. It will also feature the new William Optics R&P focuser and have a compact short-tube design similar to the GT81.

We are expecting an official announcement in February and a delivery around March.

Price has not been set but we'll update this thread as news comes in.

Unfortunately, I think with any triplet the faster the scope the more likely it will need a flattener of some type (note this excludes those with integrated flatteners, Petzvals etc as you'd expect them to have a flat field). It's a bit like Newts, the faster they are the more likely you will need a coma corrector.

However my comment on these new refractors is that they are all around the same the focal length, so image scale is going to be around the same regardless. Isn't there going to be a point where the market saturates at this focal length?

Ian

Nnnnoooooo. I'm a little peeved. I bought the GT81 MK1 as it was marketed as, I quote from the WO site and echoed elsewhere, "This F/5.9 lens is ideal for astrophotography" - but it is not, not without a field flattener, which may be obvious to the more experienced user but not and exceedingly frustrating in the process, to the newcomer - to whom this scope is aimed. I really hope they pull out the stops and issue a dedicated flattener soon. Currently, it's field curvature makes me look like I'm piloting the millennium falcon.

Back in mid-November William Optics advised us they would be releasing a small batch of reducers specifically for the GT81 in two months. In theory then we will see them sometime in January.

HTH :)

Isn't there going to be a point where the market saturates at this focal length?

Possibly. Our concern is that triplets are being bought to market to fill demand but we are not impressed at most of what is being offered. Manufacturing processes continue to improve but triplets are much more difficult to make than doublets so don't lend themselves to mass production. We are still of the opinion that a premium doublet will out-perform a budget triplet.

Archived