Those with a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. and was hoping someone could take some time out to help me :) plz

1. I'm going to buy a Baader Laser Collimator, as i'm told it might need doing now and then! is this ok for that, or do i have to get anything else for it to help with the collimation?

2.It comes with a 10mm and 25mm eyepieces. are they good enough?

what other eyepieces shall i get? i dont want to get the best that cost the earth :), just something thats good enough maybe..

as for a barlow, shall i get this one Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow or would you recomend me on both barlow and eyepieces please :) as i'm not sure what Mag i should keep to, and what max times i will get, 130 x 200 x max. i dont want to start buying parts that will just be a wast!

3. i hear ppl talk about Dew Shields, do i really need one? the scope will be kept in the shed! do they help with lights

as i live near street lights, is there anything i should buy or do to help with the lights?

5. i was thinking of getting a Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III or would a Right-Angled Finderscope be better? as my bad isn't the best at the mo, i have to keep bending right down lol

6. filters. i have some Antares 4 Piece Filter Set. 15 yellow orange, 21 orange, 56 green, 80a medium blue. not 100% sure what the numbers mean, or what planets etc i use them for, as this was given to me. what would i use for jupiter? what kind of moon filter shall i get.

if there's anything you would recomend, or what you have done with your dob?

i be more then greatful if someone with the same scop could help us out :(

Thanks alot,

1. just a personal thing...I prefer the cheshire collimator...but, yes...you will need something.

2. use the supplied eyepieces...get a cheap barlow if you wish...when you up-grade on your next eyepieces...remember...different eyepieces suit different 'scopes...& also everyones eyes are different...age...glasses etc. always try before you buy if poss. joining a local observing group may help.

3. for back garden observing...you probably won't get affected by dew so much as you will in a field.

4. I'm in London...so by the time i point above the glow...i'm above the height of the street lights....there are filters for light pollution...how effective they are ??? no idea

5. right angled finders or a telrad probably is a good idea...putting your 'scope on a water-butt stand would raise it to make life easier too.

6. IMHO... I think a moon filter might be the only one you would use £3 or £4 at astro-boot for the 1.25 inch size

the celestron x-cel lx range...meade qx4000 26mm & skywatcher panaview 32mm work in my dob for ages 9 - 76...just refocus a little

the hyperion click-stop zoom is also good fun especially on the moon..saturn & jupiter plus faint fuzzies

hi up2nogood, im also getting a dob hopefully today......and like you i want to get the best outa it...so far i have a cheshire coll....i want to get a telrad finder too as i hear it will make life easier......as for filters i will get a moon filter and a few filters for deep sky....

regarding eye pieces i will wait and become familiar with the eye peices that i get with my 12" skywatcher dob first before making any upgrades

here is a few pages with some usefull stuff regarding eyepieces, filters etc...hope this brings some more understanding to what you need ....i found it helped me a bit better :)

How to select an eyepiece ?

reports-barlow

Reports : LPT filters UHC vs. Ultrablock

main page Menu - Reports & Reviews

karly :)

Hi up2nogood, congrats on your choice of scope, perfect scope for beginners.

Check out my sig, you will see I have most of what you are after / want etc. It also has a guide on modding the dobs base, something in my opion is essential.

1. The collimator - I have this, it is a good collimator but I still can't make my mind up if laser collimators are for me. It is up to personnal choice at the end of the day, I know that is not much help to you but some people swear by them, others don't. While I get on very well with mine, and the views I get from my scope are good, I`m assuming it is doing it's job well but I have found that the collimator moves in the focuser, so one minute it says your scope is collimated, the next thing it says it's not. Still can't make my mind up on that.

2. Eye peices (EP's), the 25mm is decent enough but the general train of thought is that the 10mm is pants and I have to agree. They have both served me well for over a year, as I got to grips learning everything, constalations etc, they did their job. But I really do want to swap them out for better quality. I wouldn't jump the gun and buy decent ep's now, stick with the ones that come with the scope, then upgrade when you can. I`m leaving upgrading mine until after I have bought everything else I need. As for makes/models, again, personnel preference.

3. Dew shields, depends on time of year, tempreture, where you are etc etc. I have just made a dew shield for my Telrad, am in the middle of ordering a dew shield / lp blocker from FLO (Astrozap products) and will also be buying heaters in the near future, as I suffer with dew, even in my back garden.

4. There is no 4.:)

5. Personel choice, I have just bought the Skywatcher 9x50 right angled erecting finderscope as the standard one was a pain in the bum. (In my opion)

6. Filters, I only have a Badder UHC-S filter for nebuler's etc, no idea about planet filters etc.....

Again, as I stated above, check my sig out, look on the forum, do some searches, it has all been covered before, this forum is a great place to get answers to your questions.

Also, where do you live, if you are local to me I could always give you a hand, you can have a go with my stuff etc.

Regards,

Daz.

Hi i read your review. nice review!

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. and was maybe you could take some time out to help me :) plz

1. I'm going to buy a Baader Laser Collimator, as i'm told it might need doing now and then! is this ok for that, or do i have to get anything else for it to help with the collimation?

what other eyepieces shall i get? i dont want to get the best that cost the earth :), just something thats good enough maybe..

as for a barlow, shall i get this one Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow or would you recomend me on both barlow and eyepieces please :) as i'm not sure what Mag i should keep to, and what max times i will get, 130 x 200 x max. i dont want to start buying parts that will just be a wast!

3. i hear ppl talk about Dew Shields, do i really need one? the scope will be kept in the shed! do they help with lights

as i live near street lights, as im from the uk :( is there anything i should buy or do to help with the lights?

5. i was thinking of getting a Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III or would a Right-Angled Finderscope be better? as my bad isn't the best at the mo, i have to keep bending right down lol

Or i hear some buy a Telrad Finder scope . not 100% sure how it works..*

6. filters. i have some Antares 4 Piece Filter Set. 15 yellow orange, 21 orange, 56 green, 80a medium blue. not 100% sure what the numbers mean, or what planets etc i use them for, as this was given to me.? what kind of moon filter shall i get.

i be more then greatful if you could help us out please :)

Thanks alot,

Hi. The 200p is a great 'scope.

1) I just got a basic laser collimator. It does the job. I used this guide http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm to learn how to do it the first couple of times, written by another SGL member 'Astrobaby'. Use this guide and you can't go wrong.

2) The 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that come with the 'scope aren't great but they're ok. I suggest getting used to them for a while; you'll soon find out what power eyepieces you need. I ended up getting an 8mm http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p158_HR-Planetary-Eyepiece---8mm-focal-length---1-25----60--WA.html for Planets and a 32mm http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-panaview-2-eyepieces.html*for DSO & 'exploring'. This excellent guide will help you to select eyepieces.*http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html

As for a Barlow, I would also leave that until you get used to what focal lengths/magnifications you will need. These 'scopes are great with 2" fitting eyepieces at longer focal lengths; you may prefer to get a Barlow with 2" fitting.

3) A dew shield isn't really necessary for a Dob as they don't attract dew as much as some other 'scopes.*

However if light pollution/street lights are a problem then a dew shield will certainly help to reduce stray light from entering the 'scope.

5) Lots of people (me included) use Telrad or Rigel finders*http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html They make the task much easier.*

But if you have problems with your back, this*http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html might be better for you. I believe it fits into the holder already on the 'scope.

6) A coloured filter like one of the ones you already have will be all you need for now; this is for viewing the Moon as it can be really bright.

Again, I'd leave other filters for now until you get more of a 'feel' for what you will need and what/how you will observe.

Personally I sit on a stool to observe. I am 6' 5" (195cm) tall so it really suits my back to observe this way.

The best thing to do when you get a new telescope is to get to know it, learn how to use it and learn as much as you can about consellations and where objects/targets are.

The only other thing I would suggest you buy is a good book like this one.*http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0521781906?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

Or maybe a good Planesphere.*http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/david-chandler-night-sky-planisphere.html

Don't forget to downlad*http://www.stellarium.org/ (free) and away you go!*

I hope I have helped, enjoy your 'scope! :( :( :p

Ed.

some good answers already, here are mine. I have a 6" dob and a 16" dob and also have the scope you mention as my school project dob. answers next to the points below - my contribution in blue type.

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. and was hoping someone could take some time out to help me :) plz

1. I'm going to buy a Baader Laser Collimator, as i'm told it might need doing now and then! is this ok for that, or do i have to get anything else for it to help with the collimation? personally, although I have used lasers and preferred the barlowed laser method, I feel much happier all round with a collimation cap and Cheshire.

as for a barlow, shall i get this one Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow or would you recomend me on both barlow and eyepieces please :) as i'm not sure what Mag i should keep to, and what max times i will get, 130 x 200 x max. i dont want to start buying parts that will just be a wast! having heard the talk of the 10mm being truly awful, I was actually a little surprised when I used it. the view is actually usable. don't rush out and buy lots of eyepieces. as mentioned, my scope is for my school and in addition to the two standard eyepieces, I am buying a 15mm plossl (£15 used) and a 2x barlow (£15 used) and these will give me more than enough options for the school astro club without risking my Televues! I may also buy a 32mm plossl (again about £20 used) and this will complete the set. use what you have for a bit and see what you feel the need to buy rather than guessing.

as i live near street lights, is there anything i should buy or do to help with the lights?

with a newt, a dew shield will be more of a light shield. if you make one it will cost hardly anything and you'll see a difference if you have lights nearby. I used 'funky foam' about £1-2 per sheet from hobbycraft.

personally I'd say both. the Baader SS3 is very good and I have one on my small frac. I prefer Telrads but they are more expensive and harder to get hold of currently.

my method is initial placement with red dot finder and then fine tune with right angled finder. you may find with your 25mm eyepiece you just need the RDF and 25mm.

6. filters. i have some Antares 4 Piece Filter Set. 15 yellow orange, 21 orange, 56 green, 80a medium blue. not 100% sure what the numbers mean, or what planets etc i use them for, as this was given to me. what would i use for jupiter? what kind of moon filter shall i get.

I am not a fan of coloured filters. I find the Baader Neodymium Filter gives best results on Jupiter and the moon. also a good light pollution filter too.

i be more then greatful if someone with the same scop could help us out :(

Thanks alot,

others would be a good star map (Sky & telescope Pocket atlas £10 from amazon) and a dim red torch. a seat too would make life more comfy and also you'll see more detail.

good luck!

Archived