Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion 8 Pro vs 8 EQ-G

Orion SkyView Pro 8 GoTo Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes

Sirius 8 EQ-G Reflector Telescope & GoTo Controller | Orion Telescopes

Looks like the same exact tube and got capabilities for long exp DSOs, but why the price jump? I am guessing the mounts are of different quality...anyone have experience with a standard orion eq mount vs this EQ-G mount and it is worth the extra couple hundred or so? Also looks like I would need to purchase manual fine adjustment rods so it can be manual when so desired as well...or is this purely a goto scope?

On a side note I am so finally clicking on this astrophotography I love this forum to death I can't wait to get into the big fun gear lol.

10 Lb difference in capacity to start with. Go to the Orion web site and download the manuals for each. My guess the SVP GoTo is stand alone only and the Sirius can be computer controlled. The SVP does have manual slow motion controls, to the best of my knowledge the Sirius doesn't and there's no place to put them if one wanted to.

On the SVP that OTA is pushing the load limit. So for astrophotography the Sirius is a much better choice.

kk sounds like good information thanks...odd that you would have to sacrafice manual control for computer control specially if say a drive goes down...pretty much dead in the water, but will probably go with the latter I did notice the weight difference and with a nice autoguide looks like you would need the extra support. Maybe a good backup manual eq wouldn't be bad either just in case you didn't want to muck around with all the gear on a particular evening. Thanks for the thoughts on it I really appreciate the quick response and info.

The Orion SVP mount is the same as the Skywatcher EQ5 Synscan Pro mount and the EQ G mount is the Skywatcher HEQ 5 Pro mount. The price difference between the two kits is in the mount. SVP has a load capacity of about 10kg and the EQ G about 20kg. The EQ G /HEQ 5 is a much better mount for imaging purposes.

Peter

The Orion SVP mount is the same as the Skywatcher EQ5 Synscan Pro mount and the EQ G mount is the Skywatcher HEQ 5 Pro mount. The price difference between the two kits is in the mount. SVP has a load capacity of about 10kg and the EQ G about 20kg. The EQ G /HEQ 5 is a much better mount for imaging purposes.

Peter

That should be 10kg and 17kg

Peter

Archived