Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photographing the moon and Christmas lights

Just wondering what tricks there might be for capturing the full moon with all it's detail, plus the town Christmas lights just after dusk, using a Canon 1000D on a tripod with remote trigger. I have a great view through the top office window where I work, the moon rises just above the street scene below.

If you can't get the exposure right for each in a single shoot, soot one for the moon and another for the lights and drop the moon into the 'lights' shot using layers and a mask. Make sure you don't move the tripod between shots.

Open both images in PS, drag the moon shot onto the lights one. With the moon layer active, draw round the moon with the lasso tool. Go to select and invert selection. Make the foreground colour black and then click on the quick mask tool. Every thing except the moon should then be hidden and you should see the Christmas lights image underneath. Tweak about with the colour or whatever, then flatten in and save it as a new image.

Edit: need to work on my typing speed :)

Archived