Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't focus ..

Davie

Whilst out last night trying to get some images I was really struggling to get Jupiter into focus.

I was adjusting the focuser in very small increments but it seemed to pass straight from nearly in focus one one side to nearly in focus on the other without actually getting a focused image. I tried with 2 different barlows and even without but it didn't get any better (or worse). Tried messing about with the settings in Sharpcam but that didnt seem to help either.

I was using a 880 camera flashed to 900 but with no mods.

Oh and visually it was fine it was just when the camera got stuck into the eyepiece that it all went wrong.

Cheers in advance

Davie

Sounds like your suffering from the seeing Davie... the wobbly atmosphere. You need to spend the time to get it as close as you can... then the stacking process will discard a whole bunch of frames that are not good due to the seeing... leaving you with the best ones to combine into the final image. A camera cannot adjust it's own focus to help you out, unlike your own eye, which is far more forgiving :)

Thanks for the reply John,

I never realised how much of a difference the conditions would make between imaging and observing.

Jupiter was great to look at but even spending around about 5 minutes constantly fiddling with the focus all I got was a blur from the 2 best lots of stacks.

Oh well hopefully all this wind will blow the clouds away and quickly die down :)

Archived