Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a beginners ques

Hi folks

I've recently aquired a 6 inch newtonian telescope with a 2 inch fitting and would like to perhaps purchase a reasonably priced barlow lens. I'd appreciate any advice on this item or other 2 inch eyepieces. :)

A Barlow Lens is a negative or diverging lens tube which can fit into a telescope’s focuser before adding an eyepiece. On one end of the tube is concave lens which increases the telescope’s effective focal length, and boosts the magnification power of the eyepiece from two to three times. :( You can insert an eyepiece in the open tube end and it's held in place with screws. You could try Astroboot? AstroBoot :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Many folks use a selection of 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. The advantage of the 2" ones is that you can have a wider field of view with them. So a typical eyepiece collection might be 1.25" eyepieces for the medium and high magnifications and a 2" eyepiece or two for lower power, wide field viewing.

Barlow lenses come in these 2 sizes as well although a 2" barlow can be used with 1.25" eyepieces as well.

Owing to the selection and cost of 2" eyepieces I would suggest getting a 2" to 1.25" converter and going with 1.25" eyepieces. There is simply a lot more choice and they generally cost less. 2" eyepieces are also just plain damn big.

In the 2" line Antares make a 1.6x Barlow, think they are about £85.

For eyepieces possibly look at the William Optics SWANs, their prices seem reasonable, not sure if WO also do 2" planetary's, and less idea if they do of the cost. FLO sell them so have a look at their range.

Out of interest any more information of the 6" scope, if f/5 then forget the SWANs, don't work well on those scopes.

Archived