Adjusting SW ED80 dual speed focuser

I have a SW dual-speed focuser fitted to my SW 80ED DS Pro which I have found is slipping when I have a dslr attached. Have seen the tutorials to tighten the focuser up.

Have also recently added the same focuser to an SW150 as an upgrade.

Whilst sorting the focuser slippage are there any other adjustments worth checking, such as collimation of the focuser? And based on that anyone know what all the recessed black screws on the focuser are for (except of course the ones that hold the focus spindle on where you tighten/loosen).

Thanks

Steve

Thanks that's the tutorial I was referring to. I have also found a web resource that shows the focuser stripped down and the recessed screws I wondered about are for attaching the internal tube slide guides and not to do with collimation.

• 2 years later...

I've adjust focusers in both 80ED and 120ED with this guide:

http://www.teleskop-austria.at/information/serv-just-hu/pdf/Adjusting_Crayford_focuser.pdf

Very simple, accurate description, only four screws need to be adjusted.

Just pointing the scope towards zenith, first adjustment without EP in focuser, then put in the heaviest EP, a couple of minutes later, done. :smiley:

Just followed the excellent instructions and now I have a nice tight focuser.

You'll need a 2mm and 2.5mm Allen key.

Just a tip, when replacing the focuser and tightening up the 4 securing screws nip them up evenly finger tight and then diagonally for the final tighten. This further stiffens the overall tension.

Archived