New to Astrophotography..

Thank you for the clarification John. I'll check the skywatcher I hope they sell it in Amazon UK or US.

Skywatcher 80ed is the same as the orion sirius ed80: Orion Sirius ED80 EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope | Orion Telescopes

I personally wanted to get into Deep field nebulas and decently closer galaxies that are part of the Messier catalog so I am going with the Orion 8 EQ-Q system...same as the EQ pro but the mount is a bit beefier to handle all the equipment needed for good astrophotagraphy...look at grabbing a good scope and slowly build up from there...with any basic set of stuff in the long run you are looking as spending quite a penny.

The big thing like everyone said is you need to find out if you want to stay in the solar system or go beyond with your photos...the SCT is a great scope but the f ratio is rather big and you will need to take way too long of an exposure for deep space objects, but it works wonders on solar objects...I personally am going with the reflector because it will allow me to get some good viewing in and the f ratio is good enough to be a nice fast imaging scope for DSOs...you have herd already that focus can be a problem and it is true with a DSLR like the cannon...I personally in the long run will be putting the DSLR on an 80ED first and just dishing out for a nice CCD camera for long exposures of deep space...think I will eventually become one of those CCD nuts and just use the DSLR on a standard mount to take wide field shots on a normal lense or capture some nice startrails. Something about a mono ccd and the different filters required seem just way too fun to play with.

Just remember, keep reading around to get a decent I idea of what to get and TAKE your time...I changed my mind probably 5 times before I decided on what I eventually want...here is my DSO list of items I eventually want:

Sirius 8 EQ-G Reflector Telescope & GoTo Controller | Orion Telescopes

StarShoot G3 Deep Space Monochrome Imaging Camera | Orion Telescopes

Awesome AutoGuider Refractor Telescope Package | Orion Telescopes

Orion 4-Filter Wheel for 1.25" Filters | Orion Telescopes

1.25" Orion LRGB Astrophotography Filter Set | Orion Telescopes

1.25" Extra-Narrowband Tri-color CCD Filter Set | Orion Telescopes

And this is just for photography...probably gonna pic up at least one or two TeleVue barlows for viewing or increasing the focal length of the scope to get a little bit closer to objects.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Olly, these photos are spectacular!! I would need at least 2 yrs to get a shot like this :)

As an experienced Astromonist, do you recommend thatbI start with lunar and planetary photography first until I gain more experience and then involve myself in DSO?

Thank you so much :)

I honestly believe that planetary and DSO photography are two different types of astrophotography considering the general rule with planets is to use a webcam where DSOs are either done with a modded cannon DSLR or and nice CCD. I would honestly pick one to go for and do that. Granted to can switch over eventually, but doing a DSO isn't really any harder than planetary they just use different tools. Put it this way, the andromeda galaxy acutally takes up more space in the sky than the moon does, but it is so far away it becomes much much more dim to see at all. People who take pictures of those galaxies are actually not really zooming in all that much compared to how much you zoom in on planets. you are talking about taking a picture of a planet vs taking a picture of an object 1 to 200k lightyears in length :).

I honestly believe that planetary and DSO photography are two different types of astrophotography considering the general rule with planets is to use a webcam where DSOs are either done with a modded cannon DSLR or and nice CCD. I would honestly pick one to go for and do that. Granted to can switch over eventually, but doing a DSO isn't really any harder than planetary they just use different tools. Put it this way, the andromeda galaxy acutally takes up more space in the sky than the moon does, but it is so far away it becomes much much more dim to see at all. People who take pictures of those galaxies are actually not really zooming in all that much compared to how much you zoom in on planets. you are talking about taking a picture of a planet vs taking a picture of an object 1 to 200k lightyears in length :).

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and help :)

I guess I would start with lunar and planetary photography since my budget is limited and I somehow find it easier to start with.

DSO needs more tools, long exposures and image processing later on, this is what I understood from what you have mentioned and from what I read about astrophotography. Pls correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks again :)

Planetary needs a lot of processing as well, but not long exposures as the planets and moon is very close to us and they emit enough light not to need the exposures, but with a webcam you will need to take a very good bit of video and convert them to images and stack them together to get a nice detailed image of the planet...the moon though is a bit easier and straight forward to take simple shots or practice stacking before hitting up the other planets.

After reading a bit I don't think DSOs are more difficult, just different than solar imaging...I understand though I really haven't done a lot of imaging, but I too was thinking the planets are closer so they should be easier until I started getting a few images processed of DSOs..they are harder to find than the planets, but if you know where to look it really isn't that bad...it just seems harder because you can't really see them until you start processing your images :) You'll figure it out it is definitely a learning curve to get used to, but you are in Saudi I would so recommend DSOs there has got to be a lot less light pollution and smog over there than Europe or the US I bet the sky views are AMAZING at times. But yeah I am sure it is hitting you as it did me when you realized how much more expensive it can get...was like darn and to think I was gonna start saving my money.

Planetary needs a lot of processing as well, but not long exposures as the planets and moon is very close to us and they emit enough light not to need the exposures, but with a webcam you will need to take a very good bit of video and convert them to images and stack them together to get a nice detailed image of the planet...the moon though is a bit easier and straight forward to take simple shots or practice stacking before hitting up the other planets.

After reading a bit I don't think DSOs are more difficult, just different than solar imaging...I understand though I really haven't done a lot of imaging, but I too was thinking the planets are closer so they should be easier until I started getting a few images processed of DSOs..they are harder to find than the planets, but if you know where to look it really isn't that bad...it just seems harder because you can't really see them until you start processing your images :) You'll figure it out it is definitely a learning curve to get used to, but you are in Saudi I would so recommend DSOs there has got to be a lot less light pollution and smog over there than Europe or the US I bet the sky views are AMAZING at times. But yeah I am sure it is hitting you as it did me when you realized how much more expensive it can get...was like darn and to think I was gonna start saving my money.

I'm getting to know a little bit more about Astrophotography haha :) DSOs photography requires tracking systems as well, right?

You're right, the sky is clear most of the year. However, we also encounter light pollution. Nevertheless, I do also offroading in the desert. Sometimes we go far away from city lights (40km in the desert) There would be a great place for some star gazing activity.

Here are some shots I have taken of the moon using my DSLR and telephoto lens. Also, a light pollution shot.

This was taken with Canon 500D, 70-200mm @200mm, F/2.8, 1/500, ISO100. Handheld.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6491566665_276a386d55_z.jpg

Another handheld shot of the Moon.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5055/5561568996_80f39837da_b.jpg

Light pollution. At an offroading area between Makkah (Mecca) and Jeddah 30 secs exposure of quads having fun on the soft dunes.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4119/4755535290_56f97bfbfc_b.jpg

In that shot, I was using a 2x extender with 70-200 and manual focus. f/8, 1/320, ISO100.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2710/4476632011_093c5c91f7_b.jpg

I would start with Lunar photography as I really excited to get closer look to the Moon. and I hope my DSLR would be of help in taking some sharp shots. Shall I go for a reflector or a refractor with a focal length over 1000mm?

Hi Omar,

Welcome to SGL.

As I read it, you only suggested those bundles in your first post, not that you already have them and you are looking for advice on a first purchase.

Lots of good info above, but just to say, you don't want to buy the wrong kit and then have to replace it. If you only want to take images of the Moon and planets then the mount is not so critical, but if you think you want to process to DS imaging, then you might as well buy the correct mount from the outset. You'll need an equatorial mount capable of guiding. Many of us here in the UK use Skywatcher HEQ5, or if you think you will want a heavier telescope, a Skywatcher NEQ6. Obviously you need to see what is available to you in your location. They are not cheap, but they do the job efficiently. If you can;t get hold of those you'll need something very similar.

As regards telescope, you really need two different types for Moon/Planets, versus Deep sky. But a medium size refractor would just about do both if you use a barlow for the planets. I have a Skywatcher ED120 and use this for deep sky stuff, and I also got a decent size Jupiter with it with a barlow a couple of nights ago.

Otherwise get and ED80 for Deep sky stuff and something different for planets.

Hope this helps.

Carole

Hi Omar,

Welcome to SGL.

As I read it, you only suggested those bundles in your first post, not that you already have them and you are looking for advice on a first purchase.

Lots of good info above, but just to say, you don't want to buy the wrong kit and then have to replace it. If you only want to take images of the Moon and planets then the mount is not so critical, but if you think you want to process to DS imaging, then you might as well buy the correct mount from the outset. You'll need an equatorial mount capable of guiding. Many of us here in the UK use Skywatcher HEQ5, or if you think you will want a heavier telescope, a Skywatcher NEQ6. Obviously you need to see what is available to you in your location. They are not cheap, but they do the job efficiently. If you can;t get hold of those you'll need something very similar.

As regards telescope, you really need two different types for Moon/Planets, versus Deep sky. But a medium size refractor would just about do both if you use a barlow for the planets. I have a Skywatcher ED120 and use this for deep sky stuff, and I also got a decent size Jupiter with it with a barlow a couple of nights ago.

Otherwise get and ED80 for Deep sky stuff and something different for planets.

Hope this helps.

Carole

Hi Carole, thank you for mking things even easier. Its reallt difficult to decide either to start with Lunar and planetary, or DSO. Each field has its' beauty..

I found the below scope which is meant for DSO astrophotography, equivalent to Skywatcher ED80. I need to save up for that one and a CCD camera, since DSLR camera might not work effeciently for deep sky photography. With 600mm focal length, I still can get clear shots of the Moon?

Thank you all..I hope I'm not giving you hard time :)

Omar a dSlr will work well for deep sky, there's a lot of us using them. There are limitations, beyond which you will need a dedicated ccd but you can still get a lot. My 80ed performs great on deep sky, lunar and does ok at planetary. It's not ideal for the later pair but, that doesn't mean you can't do it. With 600mm you can shoot the moon with an slr and you'll get a reasonable result, if you can double the focal length 2xtc or Barlow you won't need to crop the image.

Omar a dSlr will work well for deep sky, there's a lot of us using them. There are limitations, beyond which you will need a dedicated ccd but you can still get a lot. My 80ed performs great on deep sky, lunar and does ok at planetary. It's not ideal for the later pair but, that doesn't mean you can't do it. With 600mm you can shoot the moon with an slr and you'll get a reasonable result, if you can double the focal length 2xtc or Barlow you won't need to crop the image.

I read about modified DSLR to capture IR in Nebulas etc...I still didnt read about CCD cameras as I thought I wouldnt use them since I have a DSLR with HD video recording. Barlow would reduce image quality, wouldnt it?

Archived