Planet viewing

As a complete novice i was well chuffed to spot jupiter on my first outing. i was wondering if there are any resources out there to tell me what planets are visible to us and when (and preferably where). Thanks in advance

Mick, I make videos every week pointing out where all the visible planets are, where to find them, and other things you might not think to look for as a beginner. Vids are only about 4 minutes long - always posted here:

Eyes On The Sky

David, what great videos! Thanks for posting that link. They are very informative and enjoyable, and just the right length with enough information to keep one occupied each week! I've saved your site as a favourite :( Thanks. :)

David, what great videos! Thanks for posting that link. They are very informative and enjoyable, and just the right length with enough information to keep one occupied each week! I've saved your site as a favourite :( Thanks. :)

Thanks for the nice compliment, Telrad, and you're welcome. My goal is to educate about light pollution (note the illinoislighting.org links) while providing useful/fun videos about astronomy.

Stellarium also make a free app for the Iphone and a $0.99 app for the Ipad with slightly more functionality than the free version. With the app on the Ipad, where ever you turn and point the Ipad, stellarium will identify the contents of the night sky in the direction you turn. Zoom functionality also provided, along with names and information of all objects (except UFO's, A stupid friend asked about that).

Absolutely brilliant app.

Archived