Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading from the philips SPC900

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am currnetly using a Philips SPC900 webcam to image planets and have had some rewarding results, but Im sure my scope is up for more. I have recently bought the Baader semi apo filter but havnt had a chance to use it yet. :) So hoping this will make a difference. My scope is the Celestron 150 Apochromatic refractor F8. Has anyone got some suggestions about up[grading to a better planetary camera without breaking the bank. I want to also get into doing so DSO imaging in the future - so is there a camera which might double up to get me started on DSO but getting good planetary results. This might be a tall order and you might say that their are different animals required, but thought Id ask. My best image so far is in my post on the welcome section, Im at work and havent the image with me. Thanx Graham

Hi there

A good alternative to breaking the bank with a cannon dslr is the Samsung SBC 2000.

It costs about £100.00 and it is a great upgrade on the spc900.

If you take a look at the video forum in the science section you will see my post "what the SBC 2000 can do in the right hands".(not my hands I will add. lol)

It will amaze you.

graham

Hi Graham.

The cameras for Deep Sky astrophotography and planetary need different characteristics (just like the telescopes used for these different arms of astronomy, in fact).

For planetary, you need something than can take tens of frames per second, for deep-sky something that can take a 30 minute+ exposure if needs be...

Obviously some people have modified their webcams with the long exposure (LX) mod...

Anyway, you might take a look at the new QHY IMG0H cameras -http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5165_Astrolumina-ALccdIMG0H-color-camera--cooled-Sony-ICX618ALA.html. They have the (apparently very good) Sony 618 CCD chip and are primarily a planetary camera offering 30 fps at 640x480 in 14 bit mode, 58 fps in 8 bit mode.

Also cooled (maximum of 30 degrees below ambient) and capable of long exposures so possible for use as a DSO cam...

Downside is it's had some software issues, apparently now resolved... and it's £400ish

X6gas I can only give an opinion based on my personal experience the Samsung is a video survailence camera.

It has the ability to shoot exposures from 1/12000 up to 516 internally stacked frames all at 30 fps.

By removing the built in ir filter the deep sky stuff is fantastic for the price of the camera.

Then adding a screw in filter the planetary stuff can be equally as good although I still prefer to use my SPC 900 for the planets.

The question was for a camera that would not break the bank, the ones you mention sound expensive. How much are they.

graham

@steelfixer - not making any comment on the Samsung you mention mate, was just responding directly to the OP who is also Graham...

£400 quid not cheap, but not the thousands of a dedicated cooled DSO cam...

Archived