Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Conflicted

Wondering the differences on the pros and cons of an 8" reflector over a 6" Cassegrain scope would be as far as being able to use the scope for both the occasional viewing scope but mainly to do astrophotrography. Looking at getting once of these eventually with a nice mono CCD.

Orion SkyView Pro 8 GoTo Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes

Celestron Advanced Series C6-SGT Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope - Telescopes at Telescopes

I am assuming it is also extremely recommended I grab a guide scope as well...any recommendations on scope type and autoguider?

Orion StarShoot AutoGuider | Orion Telescopes: Astrophotography

For DSOs go for the f/4.9 reflector, that will give you a wider field of view (so greater image scale on any given sensor chip), if planetary is your thing then you are better off with the SCT which will give you greater magnification.

Both scopes will require collimation to get the best out of them. More user adjustable optical elements to align in the reflector and you will probably need to collimate more often (then again it seems many SCT owners collimate every session!).

As to guidescopes, the Skywatcher ST80 is probably the most popular; I have a SynGuider standalone autoguiding system that I've been very happy with, but not everyone gets on with them...

HTH, Ian

Ok might not be conflicted anymore. Wait I think I am but I found out why I am undecided...refer to the aperture fever thread I think that is what's going on here seeing as I am looking at the 8" cass now for sure, but what do I know I only stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Archived