NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

barlows?

chunky

The TAL 2x barlows seem to be considered the best budget buys - around £35 I think, if you can find some stock. That will give you 300x in your dob which would be too much power most of the time - a 6mm eyepiece (200x) would see a lot more use. Unless you already have one of those.

noo i dont have a 6mm. so having my 8mm and a 2 x barlow would be to much say for jupiter

I've not found anything more than 240x useful on Jupiter so far, even with my 10" newtonian. More often than not 180x is giving the most definition and contrast.

Saturn and Mars might benefit from a little more though - Saturn seems to "take" higher magnification better than Jupiter does and Mars is so small you need it to make much out !.

I think you might find the jump from 150x to 300x just too large a step - you really need something around 200x I reckon.

Appreciate it's difficult though, this eyepiece choosing lark - more so than buying the scope in many ways :)

Archived