NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

barlow placement .

Browsing through "backyard astronomers guide" I've just read that I can place my barlow lens infront of the diagonal for extra magnification . Effectivly turning a x2 into approx x3 . (Back of the net!)

Well u learn something evey day. Thought I'd pass info incase there are more novices out there who never knew that.

Clear skies...

I was not aware. I assume you unscrew the barlow lens from the barrell and then re-screw it to the front of diagonal (i'm thinking out loud).

This i must try.

Thanks for the heads up.

p.s.~you can decrease the magnification of a barlow by screwing the lens directly onto the end of any EP (basically where a filter would go).

As I'm reading it there s no dismantling to do. Just remove the diagonal place barlow in,then place diagonal back in.

My only possible issue might be I've a prism diagonal which gives right way up views. And don't know if its possible with that kind of diagonal, I. Shall find out soon enough.

No need to dismantle.. just move the entire barlow. I'd expect it to work with a prism, although the view might degrade. The same thing is true using tubes between the barlow and ep/camera (although you might have focus issues with the ep and a diagonal...)

Oh ok....................i see the error of my ways. I tested out this method on my little 70mm refractor. Its a widefield scope and does not handle high magnification very well.

Guess i'll have to drag out my 130P and try it again. Next week i'll try on the 8se.

Now where is that "I'm with Stupid" emoticon.

Archived