NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So thats what the mount weights are for!

JKB

Im sure it's not just me that has done this (I hope) but when my SW150P hit me in the head i realised my vital mistake.

Always put the weights on the mount before attaching the scope!!! :)

I didn't even think. Put on scope, went to turn around and Bang! The scope wizzed round on the RA but luckily my head is a lot softer than the pier that in would have hit. The best bit is I saw stars for ages after. Then the cloud came :)

So be warned people. Put your weights on first!

Cheers

Jamie

I remember doing that back in the day when I had just bought my first new EP (a 32mm Meade Series 4000 Plossl) which was in the focuser and not tightened!

Straight to the floor before I'd even got a proper 1st light.

Tidy chip in the side of the lens but still performs fine over most of the fov.

Scope counter-weights also love sliding off the shaft and hopefully smash some toes so remember to tighten the locking device too.
Most counterweight shafts have a safety screw at the end, to prevent just that from happening, don't they? But of course, if you've lost the safety screw....:)

Of course no force on earth can overcome sheer stupidity. I once took in the counterweights and put them on the kitchen worktop, as I stopped for a glass of water. There was a thin film of water on the worktop, creating a perfect aquaplane. I saw one of the weights sliding smoothly towards the edge, but didn't think to s.natch my big toe out of the way. :)

As regards the order of putting things on the mount: I always put the weights on first, but slide them near the middle of the mount so that they exert less moment. Then when I've got the scope in place I re-position the weights to the correct distance out.

I have put the counter-weight on early in the evening, and as the night progressed, and things cooled down, the weight slipped to the end of the rod! That is certainly one reason for that little safety bolt-washer that should ALWAYS be put on the end of the rod as soon as the weights are on the mount !

Jim S.

Archived