NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

383L+ & Apple - "Click Click"

NickK

Well after battling some badly documented USB stuff (naughty Apple!).. I have been rewarded with the characteristic sound of the 383L+ initialising "click-click". :)

This is 100% native implementation on OSX! :)

I still have some debugging and some cosmetic finishes todo however first light of the camera will occur the next time I have the chance to play with it (sometime in the next week or so).

That sounds really good what version of OSX - I'm on 10.4.11 on the laptop (Powerbook G4) that I would like to use for astro rather than the PC Windows....

Sorry to say that this work probably would work but apple development tools make it impossible to develop for the G4 and anything less than snow leopard..

it wouldn't take much to take this work an port it to Linux.. AOSX on the other hand is pure OSX.

In between returning from kickboxing and getting to bed I managed to spend an hour working on this.

I've now got the first 17MB image transferred.

I've still got additional work todo but it's a milestone in the project. :)

The idea behind AOSX framework is free and open source. The cost/licencing for the apps/plugins are up to the individual developers. For example - ATIK's plugin will not be opensourced and it is free for people to use (although they'll need an ATIK camera for it to work). I know David has very fast support for webcam and the EQ6 mount. The source availability will be up to David on those components.

We'd like todo an alpha release soon - although I suspect that will be early next year rather than this month.

Sounds good. When you release the alpha, I would be willing to work on an AOSX driver for Celestron's CGEM mount (it would also likely work for most of their other mounts as well). Between that and your ATIK support, I would have enough to port my app from Windows to Mac OS X.

Do you know if anyone is working on a plugin for the orion SSAG? I have one of these as well and with a little bit of help understanding the USB bits you seem to know quite a bit about, I could likely write a driver for this as well.

Additionally, I have an ATIK 314e and would be willing to test or help with development, should you be interested. From following your blog it seems like you have more USB programming experience than I do, but there are many other aspects I could likely help with. Performance optimization is one of my specialities for example. Let me know if there's anything you think I could help with, I would love to see Mac's get an equivalent to ASCOM.

Archived