Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

fireball at 21:33 tonight?

I was driving through West Wilts tonight when I glanced towards the direction of the moon and caught an orange point of light moving towards the horizon, faster than a satellite but slower than a conventional meteor. It was moving almost vertically down from roughly the direction of the moon and disappeared at about 20 degrees altitude. Definitely not a satellite, plane or chinese lantern. It looked very much like the tail-end of a fireball. Did anyone else catch this?

Half way through the sentence I was thinking chinese lantern these caught me out before a couple of times and I'd got myself all excited over it, so discounting that I'm not sure. Have only just come in from an imaging/observing session and saw nothing from my garden (in West mids)

• 2 weeks later...

Could well have been. I spotted 2 last night amongst the 15-20 other meteors :icon_salut: A great Geminids shower.

I saw a blue one going almost straight down to the horizon and then a bit later a massive green one shooting straight down to the horizon...was big and low this one. :)

Archived