Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Logitech fusion mod

geppetto

Richard bought a Logitech Fusion webcam for astro work

so I shoe horned it into a plastic box today.

Went quite well using his Mog adaptor drilled out to accept the

fusion's lens tube.

Managed to saw the lens unit in half to retain the IR filter so

quite pleased really and it worked imaging the castle up the hill

through my 70mm mini mak :)

fusion1.jpg

fusion2.jpg

fusion3.jpg

I was tempted to use your method Gaz seeing as that

silver plastic round bit is exactly the same diameter as an

eyepiece tube.

Went for a box in the end as it might take a fan.

The chip in that camera get well warm...

Have you got it to capture in anything other than it's own software?

Phil,

The chip does get warm and eats the laptop battery though the USB. I use Phase One Capture Pro, it will work with K3CCD but some of the highest resolutions (1280x980) are not availiable when you use that program.

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/fusiontest3.html

Has some good tips on software and what compression to use to get the most FPS down the USB when using the highest resolution.

PM me if you have trouble getting Capture Pro. :)

Capture Pro is a new one on me so will look into that..

Thanks for the link Gaz :? 8)

Ron

Is that a fan on yours and if so does it run from the USB 5 volts?

Yes it is, and it does Phil. I bought it from a guy on ebay. If you like I will look up his contact details for you.

Ron,

Russ was looking at getting one to use as a cheap guider, I'm not sure if he did in the end. Maybe we need a sub-forum to dicuss the camera? :)

Gaz, I have not tried to image with mine yet, although I have had it connected to my ED80 looking at terrestial targets. I am a bit concerned that I may have some dust or something on the chip. I have tried blowing on it with a lens puffer, but it just seems to move it from one place to another. Any Ideas on how to clean it?

Ron. :D

Unless its really bad I'd leave it Ron. Because the moon/ planet you are imaging will move slighty about the chip as you image (unless your polar alignment is exactly spot on), when you align and stack them in Registax the program will recognized that the dust marks move all the time relative to the other features and they won't be included in the final image. Unless you use the dust as the alignment feature that is..... :)

Unless its really bad I'd leave it Ron. Because the moon/ planet you are imaging will move slighty about the chip as you image (unless your polar alignment is exactly spot on), when you align and stack them in Registax the program will recognized that the dust marks move all the time relative to the other features and they won't be included in the final image. Unless you use the dust as the alignment feature that is..... :)

Cheers for that Gaz. I feel a bit better about it now, and I will remember not to use a dust speck as a marker :D

I am watching Once Upon a Time in America.. so I am signing off now, it's a great film.

Ron. :)

Archived