What are these dark spots on Jupiters surface?

Hey everyone,

I took this pic on Thurs evening [01/12/11] at around 11pm & when I got home & stacked I noticed the 2 dark spots just below the SEB on the left & just right of the centre. I was unsure though what these were so I wanted to ask you:-

Are they just 2 dark spots or is it a moon & its shadow on the surface with the one on the left being the moon & it's shadow on the right?

Does anyone know of any sites where I can look this up in future?

Jeff

post-28976-133877701414_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff

They are called barges and are dark storms which appear along the edge of the NEB. Your scope inverts things so it looks like the southern belt.

I checked and there weren't any shadow transits at the time and the GRS wasn't visible either.

I use an Android app on my phone called galilean which predicts both quite accurately but you can download a program called Stellarium onto your pc which is free and will tell you that, plus much more

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu,

I didn't think it was but wasn't 100% sure. I knew there was a transit last night just didn't know about the night before. Also, it didn't even cross my mind about the image being inverted!

I have Stellarium but I didn't know it showed the positions of the moons, how do you do that?

Jeff

Not too sure because I don't use it much. Have you tried zooming right in on Jupiter? I think the moons sure then but someone else can advise better.

There are a number of other web based programs which show these things too. I will try to dig out a link, but again, someone else will post something soon I'm sure

Stu

Archived