Advice re. buying a telescope for astrophotography

Hi

I currently have a Skywatcher 130P which I'm very pleased with but it's time to upgrade ....

I'd really like to (try to) do some astrophotography (I currently have a Nikon D50 DSLR) and I'd be really grateful for any advice regarding buying a new scope for this task. I'd be looking to spend about £1000 (maybe up to £1400 at a real push) and I'd like to try to do some deep-space imaging.

The selection is mind-boggling and I'd really appreciate any help !!

Thanks in advance. ;)

HI Chris, welcome to SGL... actually the scope is less important than the mount in all honesty... you start at the bottom and work up, you could have the best scope in the world but it won't perform unless you've something under it than can handle it. Before spending any money on kit, you really should get

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

it could save you a lot of pain and frustration...

A good starting point is something like the SW ED80 on an HEQ5, an excellent combination.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

on

First Light Optics - Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan

You will need a T ring for Nikon also, and probably a couple of other bits to hook things together..

and the NEQ6 makes the HEQ5 look teeny by comparison ;)... the problem is for imaging, you need something that is not going to be overloaded, and is capable of tracking well over longer periods (mine will give me 3 minute exposures), and the HEQ5 is capable of guiding for any longer exposures... (my normal test is for a 20 minute exposure).

However, don't buy anything till you've got Steve's book and had a read of it.

John's advice is on target. Stick with a short focal length refractor to learn the ropes, you won't regret. Sink 60% or more of funding into the mount...the best telescope in the world won't do you any good on a mount that can't handle it. Think of the future, get a mount that may be able to handle a larger scope further down the road....keep in mind, for imaging calculate based on 1/2 to 2/3 of the stated mount capacity. Full capacity is for visual use only.

I have two small refractors on a Atlas mount (40 lb capacity). Current setup clocks in just over 20 lbs. Gonna purchase an 8" RC in about a year, and will be at about 25 lbs....bought the Atlas with this game plan in mind.

Then again, I may win the lottery and get that Paramount with the 20" RC....here's to dreamin!

Was thinking the same thing ... Win lottery and stick a 20" tube on a paramount ME job done.....

It might be a lot harder than you think to get a decent result of a setup like that!! (I'm about to meet the wonderful world of DS imaging at nearly 2.4 metres of FL and I'm pretty worried about it...)

Seriously, though, you have been very well advised above. Mount first. The HEQ5 is competent and bang on for a small apo - which is by far the best way to get into DS imaging. The humble ED80 has an almighty track record, too.

Olly

Yes, I took the advice of mount first and I don't regret it - though I haven't really tried imaging in earnest as yet. I know it's really solid - probably overdone for my first go but should be somewhat future proof. NEQ6 Pro.

Just to add another voice to the chorus.... :-)

Get a HEQ5... unless you have a good imaging site at home and don't intend to move your rig much, if at all... and have plans for bigger scopes in the future... in which case, go for the NEQ6.

I've had the HEQ5 for nine months now, bought one second hand for about £500 and it's been absolutely awesome.

They come up second hand on UK Astro fairly frequently, or just buy a new one and get the bonus of some aftercare from the retailer.

Personally, my experience with the ED80 wasn't great, but I think I just had a dud one :-) A short fl frac is definitely your best bet though, and there are a lot of lovely ones out there.

Do have a think though about what you want to image... people often talk about DSO imaging as if it's a single task for which there is a single correct tool... it isn't, they vary in size and brightness immensely... ultimately you'll want two or three scopes to cover a range of focal lengths... but something about the 400 - 600mm focal length range, and fast-ish, f6 or better (maybe with a reducer/flattener in there) is a pretty good bet to start off with.

I love my Megrez 72 with an FF2 flattener/reducer... but at 345mm focal length it only really suits HUGE DSO's like the NAN and M31.

Anyway... good luck, but go buy a HEQ5, that's the correct starting point!

Oh, and Steve's book too... also a good way of avoiding spending money on the wrong things :-)

Ben

Archived