Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG-5 Mount Help

BEYOND EARTH

OK, so after waxing lyrical about how fabulously easy I find it to polar align, I had an absolute 'mare with my CGEM last night...

I ran it through the callibration routine and then it was way off on the alignment stars and I just couldn't get the alignment, goto accuracy or tracking precision I'm used to! So it does seem - to me at least - that success is at least in part down to the mount and not just the user! Does anyone know if goto mounts retain any of the sky mapping they do during all star alignment or are you starting from scratch each time (aside from callibration stuff and things like backlash settings etc)

Next time out I think I'll do a factory reset and start again - I tried fully 5 times last night!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get on fine with my CG5, so much that I have 2. One on a pier and the other on a tripod. I did buy a CN16 GPS for them, which puts all your location and time into the handset, which only means that you have to do the alignment. Even doing a 2 star alignment the goto is good, but it does have the option of a precise goto function which works very well on the fainter objects. The only complaint I have is the "bag of nails noise" it makes!

Pleased to say that tonight 'normal' service was resumed and I managed to align the mount without problem and it is behaving just fine (and I didn't need to factory reset...) so must just have been bonkers a couple of nights ago (plenty of evidence pointing to that!)

In fact, the mount's tracking is so good tonight that I am getting 3 x 3 minute avi's on Jupiter at f/20 on the SPC880 without having to re-centre...

Might have to see what I can do with some unguided DSO in a mo...

In fact, the mount's tracking is so good tonight that I am getting 3 x 3 minute avi's on Jupiter at f/20 on the SPC880 without having to re-centre...

Might have to see what I can do with some unguided DSO in a mo...

What version of HC/MC firmware do you have?

Archived