Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need birthday ideas/advice

Hi all, its that time of year again and im being asked left right and center what I want for my birthday. I have asked for an orion optics 9x50 RA finder a telrad and a TAL 3x barlow but they are all non existant in this country at the mo it would seem (unless you wanna pay over the odds) So I have started to look at some EP's instead and stumbled apon the GSO super plossls range on scopes n skies website. Im pretty sure these are good ep's going by what ive read and im considering the 32mm but im curious about the revelation 2" ep's listed with the GSO's. I know the optics are by the same manufacturer but would these lower end 2" ep's be suitable for my f5 150P? I have an alarm bell ringing makeing me think I may have read somewhere that these are better suited to slower scopes.

If anyone has other sugestions im all ears!!

It's true that plenty of eyepieces play badly at f/5 and faster. The issue is that some eyepiece designs show astigmatism (which looks similar to coma) in faster telescopes as these telescopes bring in the light at steeper angles. You notice the problem more at the edges, where the light as arrived at steeper angles. Therefore, you also notice the problem more with wider apparent FOV designs. If TV Plossls are within your price range, then they will work certainly well. You don't need to spend that much, though. I the Celestron ones are good and are cheaper, but check that.

One thing you can do is to make sure that wherever you buy them from will accept a return if this is the case. In another thread I just mentioned that Hyperions will play badly at f/5. I bought one for use at this focal ratio and the issues it had were super-obvious right away. It looked as bad as the cheapo 3-element Plossl that came with the scope. Pity, since one hears good things about them in slower scopes. I now use a mix of Explore Scientific 82 degree and TV Panoptics for lower-power viewing. I think those work very well but others have told me that Naglers and Ethos will work much better: I certainly hope they would given what they cost!

If only ;) all of my kit combined doesnt come to the cost of one of those beasts!!

If you don't ask buddy, you won't get.:)

You could try: "if you really loved me....." ploy.;)

After they stop swearing, try for a 20mm Nagler. Argue: "it's half the price"

Then work your way down......slowly.;)

That's the kind of low down tactics I would try.:)

Worth a punt eh??

Regards Steve

Archived