NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Teleview x2 or x4 powermate?

DMouse

Hi,

I have been thinking of buying a 2 inch barlow for using with my DSLR for planetary imaging. Right now I am using a Celestron 1.25inch x2 barlow from the eyepiece kit, and its doing a very good job.

I did buy a 5x barlow but it is too much and the chromatic abberation is terrible.

So I have been looking into the Teleview Powermates. They sound awesome and reviews are glowing. My question being, should I go for the 2x or the 4x?

I am using the Camera in movie crop mode, which uses the central 640x480 pixels. But if I magnify the image more I could use the full HD of the chip giving better detail capture. I know I am not giving any calculations here on pixel arc seconds etc, but I was curious if anyone else has tried this approach.

I know the seeing needs to be superb for higher magnifications, so would the 2x be a better all round purchase?

Thanks

Paul

I use a DMK 41 (industrial strength webcam!) with a TV x2.5 Powermate for most of my solar imaging.

I have the x5 Powermate, but I find the seeing conditions have to be really good (which doesn't happen much in Belgium!) tp get use out of it.

You can get the T thread adaptors for the Powermates which would allow you to direct connect (via a T2 adaptor) your DSLR.....but I have to agree, for planetary etc a webcam type camera is probably better.

I have a modified LifeCam but it isnt as good as the video I have managed to get from the Canon T2i. At 640x480 I can shoot at 60fps, and as its the central part of the chip and not a line scan method it has given me great detail. But I think I could manage better at a higher magnification?

post-30872-133877700226_thumb.jpg

Archived