CPC carry case and collimation

I'm finding this forum so helpful, I thought I'd post another question!

If I pack my CPC (800/925/1100 ... not sure which one yet) into a case like a Stanley 50 gallon tool box on wheels e.g. Stanley UK - Mobile Job Chest? with Integrated Lock , will trundling it along a patio, driveway, pavement etc likely throw the collimation off, or is collimation more robust than that?

If collimation would be ok, this works out as a cheap storage/travel case at around £70 into which a CPC 1100 will definitely fit, with just enough space for a bit of thin foam around as protection.

Thanks

Hi, i am planing on getting one of those for mine when i get my scope - probably a 1100. Where are you thinking of getting your Stanley from?

I am not going to use the Stanley for pulling it far though - its more for the storage and keeping the scope clean and protected. I plan putting the Stanley box on:

Large Garden Cart/Utility Truck / Trolley Heavy Duty | eBay

And then pulling it all to my dark site, round the back of where I live 500m away.

That trolley will then carry my Tripod, battery, scope box, observing chair etc.

Trolley will double up nicely around my large garden as well :icon_confused:

Steve

Hi Steve. I've searched high and low on Google and it seems the best price is around £90 delivered - STANLEY 50 GALLON MOBILE JOB CHEST TOOL BOX 193278 on eBay! .

Just be aware, though, that the weight of the case is apparently 11.5kg - I just got an email from Stanley with that information as it's not quoted in any specifications. Not an issue if you're pulling it everywhere, but for me lifting it into the back of my car, I think it's a deal breaker. It would take the combined weight of the case, scope and integral fork mount to 41kg .... or about 90 lbs in old money.

Either I have to work out some more or rethink my storage/carrying strategy. perhaps I use this chest for storage in the garage, but when I need to drive with it somewhere it goes in a soft padded holdall type carrier.

I don't suppose anyone has a link for such a holdall????

just i lil thought. im a complete newb so dont laugh too hard but, would it be an idea to go to matalan or somewhere and get a cheap wheelie suitcase and make some dividers for it? maybe out of chunky foam that u find in proper carry cases? would that be an option? i get my scope at christmas so need some sort of carry case myself.

clear skies

martin

Hi Martin - you're as new as I am so no laughing here! That would definitely work. B&Q and others also have plastic storage boxes which would do the job. In my mind, I think I'm now having to separate out the storage (in my garage or similar) for which I would prefer a hard, well protected case/plastic box from Matalan, etc, and some way of transporting the cope in my car. It would be great to just lift the said box into my car, but if I buy the CPC 950 or 1100, that weight will be too much for me to heave safely into the boot.

Now I'm thinking one of those padded cases that I linked to above might be the answer - effectively weightless so that would make things a lot more manageable. For the CPC 800, I could stand lifting a hard case into the car.

As with my telescope research, I find myself getting so far with a solution, then having to rethink on the basis of new information! Such is life.

I think the collimation is pretty robust in those scopes, but once you get it and get used to testing it you will figure that out. You can get laser collimation tools designed specifically for SCTs, maybe that's worth a look but do a thorough check to make sure they are reliable. Note that secondary mirror alignment on an SCT is more critical than in a Newtonian: since the secondary mirror is curved and alters the angle of the rays you want the axis of the mirror to be in-line with the axis of the eyepiece. On a Newtonian this doesn't have to be the case because the secondary is flat.

The padded case you linked to is for the OTA only. For a CPC the OTA is not removable from the fork mount. It has to be carried as one unit. I believe the CPC 1100 OTA and fork mount is 65lbs.

Here's a photo of a JMI case with the CPC 1100. The JMI cases are very good they're also VERY expensive.

John

post-14522-133877699625_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve. I've searched high and low on Google and it seems the best price is around £90 delivered - STANLEY 50 GALLON MOBILE JOB CHEST TOOL BOX 193278 on eBay! .

Just be aware, though, that the weight of the case is apparently 11.5kg - I just got an email from Stanley with that information as it's not quoted in any specifications. Not an issue if you're pulling it everywhere, but for me lifting it into the back of my car, I think it's a deal breaker. It would take the combined weight of the case, scope and integral fork mount to 41kg .... or about 90 lbs in old money.

Either I have to work out some more or rethink my storage/carrying strategy. perhaps I use this chest for storage in the garage, but when I need to drive with it somewhere it goes in a soft padded holdall type carrier.

I don't suppose anyone has a link for such a holdall????

When driving somewhere to another site, my idea is to wrap it in an old quilt. Its only for protection in case of emergency stops etc whilst in the car. It can then go, wrapped as such, into the boot or the back seat with the seat belt round it.

I agree, 65lb for the scope, and another 25 for the Stanley is getting a bit heavy, even for this weightlifter like me. Also very cumbersome.

Rgds, Steve

Thanks, Steve - a good idea.

John, you're right, that padded case was only for the OTA. There is one for the CPC 800 - Orion Padded Telescope Case for Celestron CPC 800 OTA, Fork, & Drive Base - OPT Telescopes but probably no UK supplier. Yet more research to do, but I guess I need to decide on scope size first!

I'm ignoring the JMI hard cases - if I win the lottery I'll revist that decision :-)

Geoptik Quilt Bag for Celestron CPC 925 and CPC 1100

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4644_Geoptik-Quilt-Bag-for-Celestron---Meade-fork-mounted-9--11--SC.html

Not cheap but Geoptik make good quality stuff. I've ordered from Telescope Service quite a few times. Great service.

John

post-14522-133877699654_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, I've found what I think is probably a decent carrying case here for the CPC 1100 ... Telescope Cases

Probably around £220 by the time you get it delivered, based on under declaring the value to customs :-), but it occured to me that having it in this back pack style means it's easy to put in the back of my car (and take it out). Still a remarkable price, but that's the hobby for you!

Nexstar11.gif

Archived