Tonight Was Pretty Good But ...

My kids asked me, "Dad, is it always going to be this cold?"

Had a great clear night tonight, but my kit started to dew up after several hours...

So as x-mas draws in, what can I expect over the last few weeks of 2011

[1] More Clearer, More Colder, Wetter Nights

[2] More Clearer, More Colder, Drier Nights

[3] Less Clearer, More Colder, Wetter Nights

[4] Less Clearer, More Colder, Drier Nights

[5] Other

My kids asked me, "Dad, is it always going to be this cold?"

And to answer the kids question, yes, it's always cold at night (varying with the season, of course). But even during the summer here in America near Chicago, I find I often need a light jacket because the open, clear skies seem to suck the heat right off your body. :icon_confused:

For observing, I typically add at least one extra layer of clothing to what I would normally wear compared to doing light exercise like walking around, as just sitting there with little movement doesn't generate much body heat.

No, its not always going to be this cold. Tell your son the ice caps are already starting to melt, and in a few thousand years he will be nice and toasty in the winter.

Well I told them that they were observing Jupiter and the 3 Galilean Moons that night, which were roughly under a billion km away from the Sun and roughly 100 to 250 degrees more colder than here on Earth. That chilling answer put observation back into perspective. So a woolly hat, gloves and scarf and hot flask will add to the fun of night sky viewing.

As long as it stays dry and the dew settles very very slowly over the winter months and most importantly, clear skies.

As far as the weather is concerned here in the UK, I'm reminded of those famous words from the opening of "Stingray" in the 1960's............ "Anything can happen in the next half hour":)

Yes it was lovely and clear here in Chester last night until some wispy stuff started to come across about 10.30pm although there were gusts of wind.

Archived