New To Astronomy

Hello everyone. I've recently started to become very interested in astronomy. However, I know almost next to nothing about it. I can point out the big dipper, but that's about it. I'm looking for some recommendations on books that are geared towards those new to astronomy. I want to know about the constellations, how they move, how the stars move, what a supernova is, what a cluster is, etc. So, recommendations anyone? Thanks!

:icon_confused:

Hi and welcome.

Stellarium is free Stellarium and shows you the sky, stars, planets and constellations etc from your location.

Try http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=2453 for some of the astronomy info from the now finished Open University course S194. If you can get hold of the course material and DVD it will give you a good grounding. PM sent

Or see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-Astronomy-Science-Course-University/dp/0749235683

Hello and welcome.

I am also relatively new to the world of astronomy although I got a scope back in May and have also stocked up on various books and also recently subscribed to The Sky At Night magazine.

Everyone on here will recommend that you get the book "Turn Left At Orion". It is geared towards newbies and gives alot of information for people starting out in the world of astronomy.

Also find out if there is an Astronomy club near where you live. Get yourself down and talk to the people there. You should also be able to try out some of the members telescopes.

I have been seriously bitten by the astronomy bug and the only downside is that I should have done it years ago.

A general very popular all round book is Backyard Astronomers Guide, Dickinson and Dyer also Night watch, again by Dickinson, a visit to your public library may not go amiss, as they should have copies of all these books and others, read before you buy as it were :icon_confused:

A general very popular all round book is Backyard Astronomers Guide, Dickinson and Dyer also Night watch, again by Dickinson, a visit to your public library may not go amiss, as they should have copies of all these books and others, read before you buy as it were :icon_confused:

I have this book too and it is a very good read.

all books mentioned above are well known and trusted text .

but they are geared toward either equipment and how it works ,and finding objects in the sky. if your looking for more information on all things universal,quasars,planets,galaxies, black holes, life of stars ect, you might prefer some kind of space/universe encyclopedia. ive seen a few aimed toward children,but perhaps some of the more experienced guys will recomend something geared towards adults.

i used to have a pocket sized book with sections on all matters. it was a good reference aid ,in plain language,but ive lost it and cant for the life of me remember its title.

Archived