DSLR connection

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a SW200p. Apparently it came with an adaptor to connect a DSLR to the scope. Im puzzled. Does the adaptor look similar to the adaptor that you put your eyepieces into, only my dslr doesn't seem to fit any way into this adaptor. Does the camera lens stay on or off when you connect it to the scope?

I thought connecting a camera to a scope might be a simple process......:-)

Any help appreciated...

It is. You simply need a T2 Mount (available from any decent camera shop for less than £15). This gives you the dSLR mount at one end and a M42 thread at the other. You may need a tube to with a standard 2" or 1 1/4" diameter at one end and M42 thread at the other to fit the T2 to the scope, or you may find that there is already a M42 thread somewhere on your eyepiece mount.

You will need a T ring to attach to your camera, that is specific to fit your make of camera. The T ring is attached to your DSLR instead of a lens. The eyepiece holder on your scope should unscrew from the focuser. The thread exposed on the focuser should allow the T ring (plus camera) to be screwed onto it.

You could in theory add an adapter to the T ring so the camera can be inserted into the eyepiece holder, but with a newtonian you would more than likely find that you are unable to achieve focus, as there would not be enough inward travel.

Archived