NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adapter for a Standard Digital Camera

PreludeToADream

I'd really like to get into astrophotography. Problem is, I definitely don't have the money for a DSLR or SLR camera. I've got a bog standard digital camera (something like this I think: Samsung ST30 Digital Camera - Black 2.3 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) and I was wondering whether I'd get any results using that?

I'm not sure what kind of adapter I'd need to use with it. Would it be a universal camera adapter like this? First Light Optics - Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter

I'm not looking to take spectacular photos by any means, but I would like to be able to capture something.

Yes, I used one of those with a point-n-shoot digital camera before I got a DSLR. It's the right thing for the job. It has horizontal and vertical adjustments to get the camera lined up correctly. You attach the camera using the tripod bush.

I've got exactly that adapter and it did work. The only problem I had was that it clamps around the eyepiece and the shape (diameter and/or length) of some eyepieces did not allow it to be clamped to them. Depending on what eyepieces you have, it will most likely not work with all of them.

Archived