Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Narrowing down my choice!

Hello,

You know how it is, everyone says get 10 x 50, those hit the sweet spot of handlability and visibility. The 15 x 70s are cheap enough to be in my price range but I'm coming to think handlability is an issue for me and I want to be able to use them for normal daytime persuits also. My question is might 12 x 50 be a more useful magnification for daytime and would that curtail the astronomical use in some way, or could 12 x 50 be an advantage sometimes. I intend to get a monopod and tripod adaptor as well.

I am reading the 'Stargazing with binoculars' at the moment. I always get nerdy when I'm about to buy something!

I'm considering the 'Helios Weathermaster 111' 10 x 50 (Nitrogen filled/waterproof.) £56 and the 'Helios Fieldmaster' 12 x 50 (NOT Nitrogen filled.) £50. As I write I'm noticing that the FOV of the latter is only 88m compared to the former at 114m, the Weathermaster is also 75g lighter.

Your opinions please.

Archived