Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How Close Are Your Images To The Hubble Telescope?

I know this is plain and dumb. In reality we all will say get real dude, not really close at all. But maybe some DSO there will be not much difference. And some there is a huge difference.

Have you ever photographed an image and compared it to a Hubble image and thought. Wow.. not bad.. not bad at all?

I was looking at Hubble images of details within M42 and there was noted a new star with a protoplanetary disc around it in one of them. I checked it against my first ever astrophoto of M42 and.... yep, there was a small faint blob where that detail was... ok, you need the Hubble image to see what it is... but I was blown away by the fact I could even see something so cool and scientifically interesting in my own photo.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Why don`t you have a look at our weekly Picture Of The Week competition section, if you troll back through the weeks I think you will find that a lot of DSO images now being taken by Earthed based amateurs are quite amazing, close to Hubble quality ? compare some and I think you will be able to come to your own opinion on that one :)

The Hubble Telescope has limiting magnitude of about 30 and can image galaxies to redshift greater than 5. No amateur equipment can come near that. But in terms of prettiness, it's certainly possible to get "Hubble quality".

Archived