NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Contrast Booster vs Green Filter for Jupiter?

I actually prefer the Green #58 filter to the Baader Neodymium filter on Jupiter and the moon. The Neodymium filter does give extra contrast but it's more subtle than the colour filter. The scope I am using is a 5" Newtonian. Maybe this plays a role as well.

I find the improvement with a Nd filter is very slight - as stated above, "subtle".

Strangely enough, I've found that for my old eyes, the actual detail (not the contrast) has been improved when I've tried an old red filter I had. I imagine this may be because a red filter manages to cut through imperfect seeing rather better.

Chris

I actually prefer the Green #58 filter to the Baader Neodymium filter on Jupiter and the moon. The Neodymium filter does give extra contrast but it's more subtle than the colour filter. The scope I am using is a 5" Newtonian. Maybe this plays a role as well.

interesting as i never seen the grs on jupiter till i got the neo filter green yellow red light blue and ir are great

Archived