SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I can see sunspots!!!

Kain

CC sent the some baader solar film! I had already made a 'end cap' for the Tasco in anticipation!

Postman delivered the film and I set to work. Having attacked the solar film to the cap and hurried outside, I observed the sun! It was like a blueish disc, and sunspot 955 stood out like a sore thumb! However the sun was still pretty bright so I was loosing the spot in the glare. Any way to counter this?

But wow. I could see the sun with the scope! I think I'm going to see if they do bigger sheets or something that will let me view with the dob, as tasco quality is Rubbish to be fair.

I'm quite pleased now!! - Bar it's started to rain!

Kain

Great stuff 8)

Sunspot spotting is fun and should get funner as the sun's activity builds. :)

Worth sticking some on the DOB mate, you don't need all the aperture, just make

a cap to fit the OTA and cut a circle of 4" or so, offset from the centre to miss the secondary.

Then cover that hole with foil.

Dont forget to remove or cover up your finder scope else you might get a burn off that.

Yup CC, Its chucking itdown here, and theres a chance of storms later (so not all bad!!)

It's really wierd being able to look at the sun now, odd feeling as you know it can burn your eyeballs out your head!

I will try those suggestions. I think the seeing is abit Rubbish too though, as I was looking through thin cloud.

Kain

sunspotting (how good is that?! :) ) Is great fun, as long as you're strictly following all safety precautions.

IT CAN BURN YOUR EYES OUT YOUR HEAD - DON'T LET IT!!

We had a bit of sun this morning 10am (Wales), I suppose those at the star party all had their PSTs out.

(I didn't manage to get there last night unfortunately)

Andrew

Archived