Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WOW WOW WOW.

Rapallokid

So after so many nights of clouds I finally got an unexpected break tonight.

After a few attempts to star align on a nexstar 6 I gave up. The align kept recognising Jupiter as Polaris, any suggestions please.

Undeterred I decided to see what I could find myself based upon the reading I have been doing since the clouds rolled in.

The hiighlight was recognising Orion and being able to find my way and view the Orion Nebula for the first time. Previously I was really pleased to be able to view the Andromeda Galaxy albeit guided to it , but being able to map my way around was really satisfying.

If I learned anything tonight it was probably spend more time setting up before trying to align, but more importantly Knowledge is power.

Learn your way around and the Sky is your oyster.

I have a 127mm mak Auto, and if the mount its self is not set to north the tracking is rubbish. it works much better when set to UK latitude and north.

would imagine the fork mount on the Nexstar should work similarly but with goto.

Was a great seeing night in manchester also, spent most of it in the pub though :-(

got around an hour late on with the bino's saw a lot of nebulosity on M42 great stuff!

scott

Hi, I checked the scope and it is set up as it has been previously. The settings for the location etc are stored so all i had to do was change the date and time. Maybe just put it down to the shock of being able to get out there for a change.

Thanks for the replys.

Rapallokid.

Make sure you have the date in american format "mm/dd/yy" and check the time zone and daylight saving settings. I usually set to GMT and +1 or -1 daylight savings depending on time of year.

These scopes all track at normal sidereal rate by default - the problem is allways in the settings. Level and north goes without saying and set latitude by pointing at the pole star. Then a 2 or 3 star align in one quarter of the sky will give the required accuracy

If it doesn't quite arrive at the object or overshoots, then you can use the PAE to improve the pointing. After several uses of the PAE it should be bang on target all of the time. :)

Archived