NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Imaging Settings - Help Required

I thought i would have a go at imaging on my Skywatcher 130P, its motorised on an EQ2 Mount. I have a Nikon D80 with the T adapter ring and after setting up found that the camera would not take any photos. I tried all sorts of settings on the camera M, S and even auto but no luck. Am I being an idiot and missing something any help would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

I thought i would have a go at imaging on my Skywatcher 130P, its motorised on an EQ2 Mount. I have a Nikon D80 with the T adapter ring and after setting up found that the camera would not take any photos. I tried all sorts of settings on the camera M, S and even auto but no luck. Am I being an idiot and missing something any help would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

Can you elaborate. Are you saying that the camera simply wouldn't activate the shutter and simply refused to work, or that the images couldn't be focused.

With DSLR, you set the control to M for manual. Ideally use a cable release or similar as pressing the camera will cause vibration. You then set the exposure (presumably via a dila on the camera) to between 5s and 30s and take a shot.

Even with your scope being driven, it will need to be polar aligned and you might find that anything longer than 90s exposures still give trailed stars due to the accuracy of the mount.

Its a simple solution. As mentioned above if you don't set the lens to manual as well as the camera it won't fire because the AF kicks in. It only happens on certain lenses (eg 50mm 1.4 AF-D). Most of the modern lenses AF-S don't have this problem as you don't need to move the lens switch to M.

Its a simple solution. As mentioned above if you don't set the lens to manual as well as the camera it won't fire because the AF kicks in. It only happens on certain lenses (eg 50mm 1.4 AF-D). Most of the modern lenses AF-S don't have this problem as you don't need to move the lens switch to M.

I'm assuming he/she's removed the lens and attached the body to the scope via a T ring - If so there would be no need to set the lens

OP is not using a lens?

(Edit) Crossed in post with malc ;) But as his previous comment, can the OP provide more details on "what" is not working?

Sorry. I thought he was. If a remote shutter is being used then the signal has to be aimed at the IR port on the camera. The T ring/lens mount may need to be cleaned as this can cause a camera not to fire as well.

Thanks for all the info everyone, looking at my camera it seems that i had not set it to Manual (rookie mistake) I will try again when the skies are clear up my way (Norfolk) and let you know. In response to 'malc-c' the display on the camera just kept coming up with dashes.

Archived