Can ANYONE here recomend this?.......

Hi Andy.

I know the die hard dso people will say no but I use an EQ5 and I have a 200mm newt on top of mine along with a guide scope and a Samsung video camera.

Apart from some backlash which I cannot seem to shift its fine.

I will add it is mounted on top of a massive pier.

It will give you a taster for sure. Get it all levelled and nuts and bolt done up properly. Take your time to get a good polar alignment and sharp focus (Bahtinov mask or FWHM) and you could be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve.

Most of my images were done unguided using a 6" Newt on an EQ3-2. It's certainly not easy but it is possible to get something at least.

If you balance slightly heavy to the east, then the motor has something to pull against and it doesn't oscilate within the play in worm gear.

Just to clarify...this does change what is heaviest dependant upon when you are pointing.

Sometimes it will be weights heavy, sometimes scope heavy. Perfect balance and a Velcro beanbag can be used to shift the emphasis. ;)

I'd have a go for £100...if you don't get on with it you'll probably recoup most of the ton in selling the mount on.

Good luck.

Thanks for that, spoken to a fella who manages some fine (in my opinion) photos on an EQ3-2 so I think with some effort I can manage something.

Just out of interest MG1, where do you find the darkest skies around Bristol?

Andy

Kielder forest in Northumberland!

On a serious note, we have a flat and so most of my observing is done in Wiltshire at the in-laws, or at Star parties in Northumberland and Scotland. I have been known to head down to Kingston Seymour...It's okay down there, but once you've been to a dark sky site you'll weep everytime you set up at home!

It's probably worth giving a plug to Bristol Astro thou. Their site up at Failand is good for convenience...and the National Trust do the odd event with them over at Tyntesfield which is a good outreach event.

But for me, most of the time spent between dark sites is used for tweaking and fiddling.... ;)

I suppose Kielder is close on an relative sense..

Im up on the Mendips so not so bad for me, get to visit my mum in Scotland too so I do OK

Andy

Cool...well if your mom ever fancies moving closer to her son....maybe a house swap's on the cards ;)

I think anwhere south of Bristol gives pretty reasonable darkness...I keep thinking about trying to find a campsite in Exmoor that would allow some winter camping. Much closer and I'd imagine pretty dark too.

Yeah, I think Galloway forest is an international dark sky park? Exmoor aswell now? , it is a marked contrast to where I am anyway.

Just writing that I see I have fairly easy access to both of them, ! That may go some way to make up for my ricketty equipment ...

Andy

Archived