Oppinion - Accessories for a 200mm Skywatcher

Heey guys! ;D

I'm.. new here!

Well, I've been reading this forum for quite some time now.

I love astronomy and I'm just about to buy a telescope and I need your advice about what accessories to buy.

What do you guys think of the following items for an 8" Skywatcher EQ5 with 1000mm Focal length?

- 8mm Paradigm Eyepiece 1,25" - 40£

- 18mm Paradigm Eyepiece 1,25" - 40£

- 25mm Meade 5000 HD 60 Series 1,25" - around 70£

- Zhumell 2x Barlow 2" - around 40£ ?

- Zhumell UHC Filter 1,25" - 30£?

- Zhumell Variable Polirizing Filter - 25£

- Dew Shield - 20£

The scope will come with standard 10mm and 25mm plossl.

I can only spend 320£ on accessories and I don't really know if all I chose is really important or not.

The thing is, I can't really say ''ok, today i'll buy one or two things and in a month I'll buy the rest'' because I live in Brasil. Telescopes and eyepieces and filters and all those things are just.. not something you find for sale in here. Almost ALL the scopes in here are the ''700x magnification'' type! ¬¬

My brother is going on vacation to England in January and I'll ask him to buy this things for me. I don't plan on doing astrophotography for now, just observing planets and deep sky objects.

Please, give me your oppinions! Do you guys think these items are appropriated to the scope I'm going to buy?

Thank you very much!

Douglas Casagrande.

Hey Neil.

Thanks for answering.

This was also one of my daubts. In the barlow's description says it fits both 2" and 1,25" eyepieces, so I reasoned that if in the future I happen to want a 2" eyepiece or filter, I'll already have a barlow that fits it.

Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks again,

Douglas

Douglas

One question is why a 2" Barlow when all your eyepieces are 1,25"

Neil

Hey Neil.

Thanks for answering.

This was also one of my daubts. In the barlow's description says it fits both 2" and 1,25" eyepieces.. so I chose it. I reasoned that if in the future I happen to want a 2" eyepiece or filter, I'll have already a barlow that fits it.

Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks again,

Douglas

Hi Douglas, the 2" ED Barlow is a great choice, I have the SW version and it is of fine quality, your reasoning is spot on. Your choice of accessories, as well as those mentioned by others is spot on, that of a mature star gazer, you have obviously read the reviews on this forum and understood them well. I wish I had had your maturity of reason when I first started out! By the way, the scope does not come with plossl's, they are 'modified acromats', designated 'MA's', not as good as plossl's I am afraid.

Just another thought if you are trying to cover all bases, you should find that the 2" ED Barlow accepts 2" filters, both on the 2" barrel and on the 1.25" adaptor, you might consider buying 2" filters (more expensive!) then these will work both for 2" and 1.25" ep's.

Thank you very much Rwilkey.

I really wasn't sure if my list was good for the scope or not.

You're comment helped me very much.

Oh, and about the 2" filters.. I'll look into them but i'm already sort of at the maximum I can spend. I chose those ones because i read good reviews and.. they were sort of cheap! ;D

But i'll definitely look into the 2" ones.

Thanks again.

Douglas

That's the only thing when you look at the 2" market, ep's and filters are consequently more expensive. I have both 1.25" and 2" filters in my collection, as said earlier, I wish I had had your wisdom at the beginning. I have found out by experience, not bad experience I might add, but more of a 'learning curve' to be fair.

Archived