Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planck Length Spacetime under different Energy Conditions

Does Quantum Foam necessitate that Spacetime departs from a smooth spacetime under high energy conditions only?

I was wondering if hypothetically one was to be able to magnify spacetime under normal STP, Standard Room Temparetaure and Pressure, with a hypothetically powerful (no limit to magnification) microscope at what stage the spacetime would depart from a smooth spacetime to a jittery spacetime.

Do you have to approach planck energies to achieve planck length scales, is my question?

Isn't the jitteriness of particles a direct relationship to its average temperature? I think to see the quantum foam you would have to cool the void to as close to absolute zero as possible.

Further the Heisenburg's uncertainty principle implies that the more you slow time down the higher the possible energies you will measure. The faster the time the more the peaks and troughs /particle antiparticle pairs are averaged out to a neutral smooth spacetime fabric

I think there is a relationship between time and temperature somewhere... I'd have to look that up.

I was wondering if hypothetically one was to be able to magnify spacetime under normal STP, Standard Room Temparetaure and Pressure, with a hypothetically powerful (no limit to magnification) microscope at what stage the spacetime would depart from a smooth spacetime to a jittery spacetime.

Do you have to approach planck energies to achieve planck length scales, is my question?

Consider how this would work. An ordinary microscope uses light, and so the smallest things you can see are about a wavelength of light: anything smaller and the light waves effectively just go round them without being diffracted, so they're invisible.

To see smaller things you need to use shorter wavelength, e.g. an electron microscope. In general, how small you can see depends on the wavelength used.

To see down to the Planck length you would need to use interactions with that sort of wavelength, hence particles of the order of Planck mass, requiring Planck energy to produce them.

Planck mass in itself is not huge: an amoeba has roughly Planck mass. But that mass needs to be concentrated effectively at a point (or at any rate within a Planck length).

"Quantum foam" is an idea proposed by John Wheeler but the speculative notion that spacetime geometry might look different at small scales goes back to the 19th century mathematician William Clifford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kingdon_Clifford

Archived