Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing session 25/26 November

onesmallstep

** Copied from previous thread **

I have arranged for us to attend the November observing session with LDAS (details below). This is the last session of 2011 and if successful it could be arranged as a regular session with both groups sharing the site. The first session would be free but as the sessions are for the benefit of LDAS members there may be a nominal charge (to be arranged) for non-LDAS members for sessions in 2012 onwards. I'm on the LDAS committee and will be raising this as an issue at the next meeting on 16th November.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS SITE AT ANY OTHER TIME WITHOUT PRIOR ARRANGEMENT WITH LETCHWORTH & DISTRICT ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

PM me for my mobile number and confirmation that the observing is going ahead. Also, please can you email events@ldas.org.uk to notify the society that you will be attending to give them a rough idea of numbers. Main website: www.ldas.org.uk.

Fri/Sat 25/26 November from 1930 onwards.

Standalone Farm, Wilbury Road, Letchworth SG6 4JN

The site has hardstanding for car parking and an area for scopes. The main scope is a Meade LX200/14 housed in a rolling roof obsy.

UPDATE:

The LDAS committee has initially agreed to the shared observing sessions. To clarify the arrangements for November 2011, although there are two dates given for the sessions one is a back-up in case of bad weather or unforeseen circs. Please check the LDAS website or call me (PM me) or the observing mobile (number given on website) for updates on the night.

Hoping for clear skies and will see you at Standalone Farm.

Were you there last night for the meteor observing, and if so did you see anything?

It was nice an clear over Stevenage until about 10pm then I gave up and packed everything away. It was looking good earlier for this evening, forecast looking to be clear, but as it got dark over here in Baldock this afternoon it got cloudier as the afternoon went on ;)

Weather's not looking great for tomorrow, mid level cloud according to met office.

If it clears and the session goes ahead I'll pop down as it's only 10 mins from here for me.

I got my telrad delivered yesterday so could be my first chance to give that a go.

clouding up a bit here over north herts at the moment and the met office site has gone from 'clear sky' to 'partly cloudy' for this evening.

the BBC weather forecast shows it as being clear for the majority of the evening. I think it is gonna be a bit hit or miss.

I'll ring a bit later to check the session is still going ahead and post on here by 7pm if no one else has already confirmed

Hi

The observing session IS going ahead for tonight. Start time is 8pm approx.

When you arrive please drive carefully along the track that leads from Wilbury Road to Standalone Farm as there is a stream running alongside on the right hand side. There is no kerb so if you go too far over you will dip your headlights and flood your engines!!!

Scopes to be set up along the fence by the flagpoles.

See you there.

cool, will pack the car up shortly and get myself ready.

if i setup and it goes cloudy again im launching my gear straight into said stream and going off to the pub in a huff

:) Nearest pub is The Two Chimneys, approx 1/3 of a mile away. That's our second observatory.

I got there about 8pm and it was a lot cloudier at the farm than it was at home.

John had his dob setup and was getting intermittent views of Jupiter through the cloud. What wasnt helping was the 2 security floodlights that were left permanently on which covered the car park / viewing area in light. I didnt bother setting up in the end but got the binoculars out and was having a scout around the sky (that had cleared significantly) by then.

About 10pm everyone decided to call it a night, I popped off home as I had an early start and a busy day Saturday while the others headed off to the pub for a drink.

Still had a good night despite the conditions.

Archived