Advice needed before purchasing a webcam

Hi

I have a skywatcher explorer 130m and also skywatcher heritage 76 mini dobsonian, Im very much a beginner but starting to get to grips with things, but have been incredibly pleased with views of Jupiter and the moon so far :D

So... now Im thinking of getting a webcam (still havent tried the motor), what would people suggest? Im not sure if I should be spending money on upgrading my eye pieces as worried that the webcam may be a bit too technical for me? should it be something I look to purchase later as dont want it to be something I wont use if too difficult?

Any advice would be much appreciated please, thank you

I would get used to motorising the set up first as you'll need to track the object you are imaging. Hopefully that won't take you too long though.

Using the webcam is not too technical, the frustrating bit is getting focus and actually getting it on the chip. If you don't have focus and/or the brightness and gain controls etc just right you won't see the object at all even when it is there. So a moving target because you are not tracking will just add to the problems.

Once you have done this once you can make a note of the focus position and software controls and do the same next time.

You'll need an IR filter for the webcam and a telescope adapter.

I actually have one for sale with the above bits but it only has drivers for XP (although I think some-one has written drivers for Vista and W7).

Let me know if you're interested.

Carole

Personally I would wait.

Use the scope, get used to what is up there and what you can locate. You need to locate things to use the webcam. An additional eyepiece would increase the use you would make of the scope (hopefully).

With the exception of the moon you will need a set of motors to track an object, so get used to doing the setup and alignment.

A webcam will need to sit at the prime focus so I guess you will need an attachment for the webcam to do this. More bits. Assume you have a laptop to capture the avi output?

Would suggest looking up a local club andasking if anyone there does webcam imaging and see what you can learn from them and their setup. If close to bedfors then SGL have an imaging day usually early in the year. Perhaps getting there could be useful.

thank you for the advice, makes sense for me to wait and get used to tracking objects so will look to upgrade my lenses from the ones supplied with the telescope, then move on to a webcam later.

Can anyone advise me of what I should consider that would be a good upgrade from what I have (2x barlow lens 10mm & 25mm) ? thanks!

I've actually just bought the web cam bundle Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers it's a little more expensive but it includes the nose piece and IR filter. There is a lot of information in these forums and on the web about using this webcam for astrophotography e.g. Philips SPC900NC Webcam for Astrophotography which I got from another thread. Quatermass also has a very good blog on AP.

Hope this helps.

Tony

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Candice with regards webcams and an upgrade of the Barlow supplied with Skywatcher 130. Already ordered the webcam whilst available, but will store for later use. Can any one advise on a reasonable brand of Barlow/eypeices that won't breal the bank?

Cheers

Sully

Archived