Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New "ECO" Broadband Street Lighting

Teal Rain

Morning all

Anyone else having to put up with the new "Eco" lighting - I suspect there are. The CC in Cambs have just implemented them - well until they ran out of money anyway (somebody didn't do the maths on that one correctly:evil6:).

If they had just replaced the head that wouldn't have been too bad (apart from you can't get an LPR to filter them out?) but no, on a few they decided to rip out the old posts and replace them with ones 1m higher so I now have a back garden that is illuminated like a playing field to the extent that the grass looks like astro-turf. I'm trying to decide whether to bother to make a nuisance of myself to them - but it probably won't get me anywhere. So apart from having a rant here :D it may be time to bid farewell to amateur astronomy - so watch the for-sale boards.

Cheers

Mark

"Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, some types of light pollution can now be designated a statutory nuisance if it is proved to be prejudicial to health or a ‘nuisance'. This includes ‘light trespass' where particularly bad lighting from a property affects a neighbour.

It excludes light from sources such as airports, railway and bus stations, goods vehicle depots, lighthouses, defence premises and prisons."

- Light Pollution

Street lighting isn't in the list of excluded sources, so the council shouldn't be putting up lights shining into your property. I would complain to them about it.

Thanks - I will get in touch with them. I had also thought about inviting our local council rep round to have a look. Due to it's orientation the light also shines almost straight into your face as you open the back door - it's actually quite difficult to make out the step down into the garden due to being dazzled.

Cheers

Mark

The "old" sodium light had the advantage that they emitted a narrow set of wavelengths that could be filtered relatively easily and succesfully. The disadvantage was that when installed no-one cared about light pollution much.

The new ones cannot be filtered easily, if at all, so will be worse in respect to astronomy.

Does no harm to ask CC about moving it or something, just don't expect great things as they have put the post in I suspect that uprooting it to relocate isn't in their mind a viable option.

Morning all

Anyone else having to put up with the new "Eco" lighting - I suspect there are. The CC in Cambs have just implemented them - well until they ran out of money anyway (somebody didn't do the maths on that one correctly:evil6:).

If they had just replaced the head that wouldn't have been too bad (apart from you can't get an LPR to filter them out?) but no, on a few they decided to rip out the old posts and replace them with ones 1m higher so I now have a back garden that is illuminated like a playing field to the extent that the grass looks like astro-turf. I'm trying to decide whether to bother to make a nuisance of myself to them - but it probably won't get me anywhere. So apart from having a rant here :eek: it may be time to bid farewell to amateur astronomy - so watch the for-sale boards.

Cheers

Mark

Cambs sucks.

I complained to Cambs City Council about the sodium light 1 yard from my back garden.

Not their problem, contact South Cambs County (highways)- the are responsible for street lights.

Not us said Cambs County- complain to Cambs City, as you live within the City boundaries.:D:p

At this point, I gave up and bought a Lumicon UHC:(

Archived