A long winded question looking for a shor answer!!!

Hey just a quick hello and help me here! I

New to all this so hen I got my telescope I did some research myself insted of coming on here and asking you nice folks! But I went out and got my self a celestron nextstar 130 slt. Last night I Evan used it to lom at he moon and Jupiter! Knowing nothing of the nigh sky I thought this would be a good start! As it's really easy to set up and it can show you things in the sky rather than the other way around or I would have been looking at the moon all night!!! Any ways I bet your wondering my question now! Well it is this the lens ain't that good so I was thinking of getting the celestron lens kit for Xmas what do you think or would I be better getting something else??? What do you guys think???? Celestron Eye Piece & Filter Kit:Amazon:Electronics

What is the problem with your eyepiece? Celestron normaly provide say a10mm and a25mm eyepiece and I have found them to be of good quality with my 8SE Nexstar.Personaly I would go for a 32mm to get the wider field of view, and if you have the cash consider converting to 2in eyepieces which size for size give you a wider firld of view.

Keith

I think there is a 2 inch convertr with it. There is nothing wrong with the lens provided just want higher magnification so I can actually see the rings on Jupiter! Last night I could not see them so well as it was very small in the lens!!

The rings of Jupiter are not visible to earth based telescopes as far as I am aware. The planet does have darker belts across it's disk, 4 bright moons and the Great Red Spot which should, under good conditions, be visible in your scope. Saturn will be visible in a few months and that does have rings worth seeing :D

I find 150x is a good magnification for looking at Jupiter - that would mean a 4mm or 5mm eyepiece in your scope but you might prefer to use a good barlow lens and, say, a 9mm eyepiece for more comfortable views.

I have the Celestron ep/filter kit and I don't rate it. There's only one half decent eyepiece in it and thats the 32mm plosel. The 4mm and 6mm viewing holes are so small it's like threading a needle - which only leaves a couple of vaguely useable pieces. The barlow is really naff too.

By the time you add the lot together with filters and case, and divide into the price - the value of each eyepiece is probably less than that of the supplied eyepieces. Only the 32mm is multi lens despite what the adverts intimate.

Imho you'd be better buying 2 or 3 eyepieces of known quality for circa £40 each or throwing in a bit more cash and get a Hyperion Zoom. You'll get much better quality and correspondingly much better views :D

I have the 127SLT (Mak) and find that the 25mm that came with it is OK - but I should disclaim that I really have nothing to compare it with.

The 9mm that came with my 127 is less easy to judge, as the weather hasn't really been all that great since I've had my scope.

Last night I was looking at Jupiter through a BST Explorer 15mm (100x in the 127 with its long focal length) and was really pleased with what I was seeing. Would probably pick up a 10mm if they did one!

So anyways, I think you'd be best saving a little cash and selecting a couple that suit.

Archived