SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 Duel Axis on a EQ5???

Scotty27

Hi Scotty

I dare say I will soon be corrected if I am wrong but I think the gear ratios on the EQ5 and the HEQ5 are different with the HEQ5 having a higher ratio so giving a smoother and better quality tracking facility.

If this is the case the drive gear on the motors will not match the gear train on your mount.

If this is the case you will have to change the drive gear on the motor to suit the EQ5.

I would advise you drop Steve a line at FLO and ask him if it will work.

Graham

Unless you've been told differently, the ad says that it's the guts of a HEQ5 and would be a DIY project to fit them to another mount. (Leftovers from a Synscan upgrade.)

HEQ5 and EQ5 being completely different beasts of course :)

I've never seen it done, but that doesn't mean it's not possible! Astronomers seem to be an inventive sort ........

The stepper motors on the two mounts are totally different, the HEQ5's being much larger, so you would have to fabricate something to secure them. Then you would need to place the controller card in some sort of box and attach that to the legs of the tri-pod, and then fabricate longer leads from it to the steppers. This is assuming you could sort out the gear ratios to give you the right tracking rate.

IMO - it's a lot of work and you would be better off putting the £40 towards the dual axis upgrade for the EQ5

Archived