Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

nikon d7000

darkmyth

You could use it for astrophotos. Buy a shutter release cable and a t-ring and you are good to go. You could cut out the IR filter as well. This can be done yourself (lots of youtube videos on it) or you could hire someone which can get pricey. But honestly, coming from a Nikon user, there are so many more options in this field for Canon cameras. You can program a Canon to take multiple pictures with a computer, and there are many clip in filters for them. Just a recommendation, but otherwise you can do everything you listed above.

You could use it for astrophotos. Buy a shutter release cable and a t-ring and you are good to go. You could cut out the IR filter as well. This can be done yourself (lots of youtube videos on it) or you could hire someone which can get pricey. But honestly, coming from a Nikon user, there are so many more options in this field for Canon cameras. You can program a Canon to take multiple pictures with a computer, and there are many clip in filters for them. Just a recommendation, but otherwise you can do everything you listed above.

how do you like your CG5 Mount im looking at it and a cgem

The Nikon D7000 is fitted with a new Sony 16MP sensor, Sony IMX701. It apparently apparently uses a 14-bit digital / analogue converter and has a 14 stop dynamic range. With high sensitivity and very low noise either it should be excellent for astro-imaging.

ps I don't work for Nikon, just a keen photographer.......

It depends on what telescope you are going to use. The CGEM is a superior mount, it can hold more weight than the CG5, and the motors are of higher quality (the CG5 is noisy). But I love my CG5, it is sturdy and accurate, has a great goto system, and holds my 6"newt and guide scope with no issues. So in the end, it comes down to money and how much equipment you are putting on the mount (CG5 is 35lbs max load capacity)

As for why I recommend the Canon camera, it is simply the support it recieves for astrophotography. It has nothing to do with the sensor or noise. Like I said, I prefer the Nikon and have always bought Nikon cameras and lenses for my photography needs. But after a couple of years of astrophotography, I can tell you without question that Canon is the DSLR of choice. Besides not having the support and problems with clip in filters, the best example I can give is the mini HDMI port and usb port on my Nikon D3100. On a Canon, these wires allow full control of your camera on your computer with Canon software. With a Nikon, all you can do is look at your pictures. When you have to take 30 exposures at 5 minutes each, this is a pretty handy feature. I have to sit and keep clicking my manual shutter release button.

I am not trying to knock Nikon, I love my Nikon, but you can ask anyone here about DSLRs in astrophotography and Canon is the preferred choice.

and why would i use a canon over a nikon when nikon has better low light ability.

I seem to recall reading something about the "star eater" effect with Nikons - median filtering on the RAWs or something?

No idea if it's still relevant :)

Archived