NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A-Focal advice

Hi, I have read a bit on here about A-focal imaging, the seemingly simple nature of it is attractive to someone on a budget and with a fairly average digital camera. I've also seen some nice images taken this way.

But I can't seem to find a primer for the process... Well, I found one that talked of taking video and stacking the images. Is this the way forward or can it be even more simple?

Apologies for the potentially rather lame question!

I believe we need to know a little bit more about your telescope and camera. What do you plan to use, and what do you expect to photograph with your kit?

There are all kinds of "sticky" notes here on the forum that will help you as you progress with the hobby. It isn't as simple as it sounds, but if you take it step by step, you will be taking images that reveal much more of the universe than you would ever imagine, just by viewing them with your eyes.

The really great photos come from those who have been honing their art for a long while, but good photos that anybody should be proud of, will start coming from your equipment before you know it.

Be ready to accept constructive criticism, and learn as you go, and you will soon be taking pictures that match the best of them!

Jim S.

Ok, I have a 130mm reflector and my camera has just died, it was one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-AV200-Digital-Camera/dp/B004G8Q5L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320908536&sr=8-1

I suppose the death of my camera has led me to a useful situation in that I can have astro imaging in mind when I replace it.

I'd be starting off with big bright things, most likely the moon until I get better at it.

The type of camera I had suits me fine for other stuff so if it's possible to do any imaging at all with a similar camera, it would suit my budget. Equally I could wait and get something a little better but I wouldn't really want to spend much more than £100.

To be honest, I'd written imaging off as something that would have to wait, until I had a lot more experience and a lot more cash! The Afocal method (perhaps naively?) seemed like something within my budget/ability.

Perhaps another thing worth note is that I don't have a laptop so the webcam option is out for the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-FS35-Digital-Camera/dp/B004I1KP5C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320963299&sr=1-1

This camera has a pretty attractive maximum shutter speed, so it's a maybe for my replacement. Hubby has offered to get me a new camera for Xmas. I just need to get a tripod/mount for it.

Archived