Beginner - Waiting on delivery of 150P Dobsonian

Hi all,

This is my first post here(actually my first post on any 'scope site) and it is coupled with my first forage into the world of stargazing.

I have always been a lover of anything to do with space, so thought id finally get my own telescope, rather than gawping in awe at others photos on the internet!

I have ordered a new Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian - from what ive read around here it is the perfect starter scope, so I hope it will be nice to me while I get the hang of something which ive never done before.

I do have quite a few questions, however ill resist asking some of them until I have a play with my scope. Here are a couple of them:

1) I will be using the scope straight out of the box, what accessories would you recommend for me to purchase, such as lenses/filters etc.

2) I own a few cameras, including a Canon 60D. I noticed it has a 'Direct SLR connection'. Does this mean my camera will hook up straight away or will I need to buy a mount?

3) What kind of objects will I be able to see with this scope, I know general things like the Moon, Jupiter, etc. are obviously visible, however could I spot things like Nebulae and Gas clouds with the standard setup/a modified setup?

4) Does anyone work for Royal Mail so I can get my scope quicker!!!

Thanks to anyone who replies, and also to almost everyone on this board as ive been browsing it for a few days now gathering little bits of knowledge on the way.

studsy / Liam

Hi Liam,

First off welcome to SGL.

As far as accessories are concerned, I would wait until you have used your scope a few times and have a better idea of what you want/need.

A nice free accessory would be Stellarium which is a customisable stellarium program that will help you find your way around the night sky. A good introduction with clear observing notes on how to find items and descriptions of what you are looking at is Turn Left at Orion.

What can you see other than what you have mentioned? I have the same scope on an equatorial mount and find that there is enough to keep you interested for a very long time - loads of open/globular clusters, double stars, nebulae, galaxies.

Sorry can't help with speeding Royal Mail :)

Hi Studsy,

Nice new scope, :-

1. RTFM first!. Then use scope and see what extra bits you might need / want then.

2. You will need a t adapter for your camera.

3. You will be able to see some faint fuzzies in grayscale and dim.

4. Best get your scope in one piece !!.

If you get a chance join a local astro group too, lots of good advice and help especially viewing!.

Enjoy your new scope.

Hi and welcome to SGL

Great choice for a first scope. The only accessory to consider buying at the moment would be a moon filter, these cost £10-15 from astro suppliers including FLO above. Also, a star guide such as Stellarium or a hardcopy star guide (I use Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Guide but Turn Left At Orion is also popular with SGLers). All other accs can wait until you get used to your new scope.

HTH!

Glad ive seemed to make the right decision! Im pleased that it will entertain for me a good while straight out the box, without the need to spend money to make it usable(heard alot of stories about people having to buy lenses etc. as the standard ones are terrible on some scopes).

Thanks for all the advice, especially looking forward to hunting out one or two Double stars - thanks for the tip Astro Imp!

Also, ive ordered the Pocket Sky Guide to go alongside Turn left at Orion which comes free with my scope, and also a Moon filter.

Liam

Glad ive seemed to make the right decision! Im pleased that it will entertain for me a good while straight out the box, without the need to spend money to make it usable(heard alot of stories about people having to buy lenses etc. as the standard ones are terrible on some scopes).

Thanks for all the advice, especially looking forward to hunting out one or two Double stars - thanks for the tip Astro Imp!

Also, ive ordered the Pocket Sky Guide to go alongside Turn left at Orion which comes free with my scope, and also a Moon filter.

Liam

Glad to be of help.

You seem to be all set, just get out there and enjoy your new scope.

Archived